Sign in to follow this  

have you shimmed yet ?

Have you shimmed yet ? if so how long has it been and how often do you ride ? has anything gone wrong like cam chain fell off or anything ? what have you had to replace maintenace wise ? Do you baby your bike ride it hard or both ? thsanks

I own a 02 WR 250F with all free mods and YZ timing, grey wire cut, etc. I just rolled over 800 miles on my last trip and haven't had any problems. I don't ride every week but probably average three rides a month and mostly longer rides. Regular oil changes and yearly greasing and inspection are all I've needed. The 250F is a great bike! I ride hard whenever I ride, mostly fast trails and open fields, some track. I take care of it like it cost 6000. No problems here.

What year, problems etc do you have?

I have only hade to shim the center intake. I put about 12 hours a month. And I ride it very hard. No problems. Just broken forks. :)

Reshimmed my '03 two months after I bought it, clearances haven't changed in two years since. I ride hare-scrambles type woods in sand only.

Checked my buddy's '05 WR today... about 390 miles on it.

Outside intakes were right at .10. The center intake was at .07.

Both exhausts were at .19

Installed shims on the intakes were all 192, so we're going to go to 190 on the outside to bring them up to .12 and 185 on the center to get it closer to .14.

I have a feeling that the center one ends up being tight from the factory.

'03 WR250. Generally ride it easy (because I'm with kids), but hit the rev limiter whenever the opportunity arises (when the kids need some attitude adjustment, give them a bit of roost) :)

Also ride on the road, with some prolonged high RPM use in 5th gear.

Not sure of the hours, definitely over 50, more likely 70.

No shimming yet. The center intake is borderline, but has been since new and it hasn't moved yet. :)