Sign in to follow this  

450 bottom end rebuild

Hey all , I'm replacing the crank in my 2002 CRF super moto bike next weekend, any thing else I should repalce while I'm in there any critical seals or bearings that should be swaped out, I plan on crank and bearings but what else should I look at when its apart?

THKZ

Follow the manuals recommendations... replace all the seals (crank, countershaft etc.) and check all the bearings. It's easier with the cases split...

I'll usually check the shifting forks for signs of wear / bent and take a look at the gears and dogs for signs of wear / damage from mis-shifts...

Also pay special attention to the balancer bearings since some folks here on TT have had issues with em...

Check the oil pump tolerances and specs..

Basically anything you cant get to without splitting the cases... check since your in there for the crank swap... might as well take advantage of having it split.

Why the new crank?

Thanks,, the answer to "why the new crank" is well its just the bike is a race bike, I road race it and it takes quite the beating, I have seen a couple faiures and the rod ends up broken and sticking throught the bottom front of the cases, a new crank every season is way cheaper insurance , only $199 from service honda....