Sign in to follow this  

Montrose Colorado

Check out Montrose Colorado for some great riding. We have miles of adobe hills, single track in the trees and some rocky single track. Beginner to very advanced trails. It's great to have it all to ourselves but it needs a little exploiting to help keep the BLM and Forest Service in check.

I rode the Dry Wash enduro loop last year. It was some of the best pinon/juniper single track terrain I've ever been on (intermediate/expert). An oustanding 35+ mile loop.

It's located SW of Olathe and sort of due west of Montrose. I just remember we parked along some high-tension power lines and took off from there. I'm going to try and do it again this spring. It's on the south end of the Uncompahgre Plateau.

We go to the hill just east of the Delta airport once or twice a year. It looks similar to the hills east of Montrose.

When is it going to stop with the wet stuff?? I just went though my bike and am ready for some riding. See ya on the trail.

I think I've been through my bike twenty times. Hey D_F, are you familiar with this single track Rokbuster is talking about? If so you must show me. I'd love to have some good singletrack that close to home. I need to ride! :)

Hey Varget,

Yes, I think so, the parking is right and there is number of trails and 2 track roads in the area. I haven't heard of the dry wash enduro though. Also couldn't find anything with google. Any hints Rockbuster? GPS track? Varget if we catch a few days of sun and or wind this week should be about right. I also saw some interesting stuff working this winter down in your neck of the woods. Above devils thumb all the way around to whitewater if you don't mind some road riding. Seems like the southern and western exposure would have it dry fairly early? Anyway I'm about ready if we catch a day that will work for us both and you can stand to put up with my pace? Hit me here or PM.

Thanks, Deven

Check out Montrose Colorado for some great riding. We have miles of adobe hills, single track in the trees and some rocky single track. Beginner to very advanced trails. It's great to have it all to ourselves but it needs a little exploiting to help keep the BLM and Forest Service in check.

Are you part of the travel and tourism board of Montrose? :) j/k I make it out there about once a year... excellent riding

Nope, just a rider. Anybody coming to Montrose can get trail info from Davis Service Center located East of Montrose. If you want info on the Dry Creek area you must talk with the man that knows all, he can be found at Subwiches and his name is Greg. If you come this way I will show you around Flattop and the Uncompahgre Mesa. The adobes are unbelievable riding after a rain and the dirt has tacked up.

Yes, pretty much the same, Delta has smoother trails, Montrose can get pretty whooped out on the popular stuff, not sure if it's the dirt or number of riders.

Montrose is awesome riding. We are going end of April with the whole family. Usually camp out by Peach Valley Road and have 4 or 5 campers. We have found the Atv/Jeep/Motorcycle trail that takes you up and looks out at the Gunnison Gorge. Are there any other single track trails up in the pinion trees? I love the adobe hill climbs and my family loves riding and camping out there. I am always amazed that we don't see more campersg. What more can you ask for then perfect dirt, big fires, fireworks, and plenty of cocktails. Make sure and have your stickers as the last few times we have camped we were visted by the BLM and the local Sheriff. They usually think we are a bunch of teenagers camping. They are usually pretty cool and don't bother us. :):):p

Definately have current registration. $15 to register, $50 for a fine! They are quite a few single-track sections in the pinions. There is a sweet trail up Eagle Canyon. Tell the quads to hang out in the adobes!!

The enduro was the Dry Creek Enduro, not Dry Wash, I don't see it on the schedule anymore though, heard it was pretty dusty at times. The Delta adobes are real fun, I grew up in Delta and cut my teeth there.

Gee,

Oops! You're right it is the Dry Creek enduro. The GPS coordinates for the parking area on Transfer Road along the power lines where we started the ride are as follows:

N38°32.289' W108°03.929'

The single track starts at the bottom down in the valley, at Cushman Creek take a right.

Rokbuster

Ha! Just bouncing around the net and found this bulletin board and viola, here you guys are talking about a riding area 1 mile from my house....Flat Top :)

I'll have to read the board more often and hook up with you'se guys sometime.

Richard