Sign in to follow this  

Bike Locks vs. Bolt Cutter; This is scary!!!

Well, I've been wanting to do this for a long time.....try to "steal my own bikes". I alway lock everything up when I travel with my open 3 place trailer, or when everything is unloaded in my garage, but I'm always wondering if it is enough :) I bought a 36" bolt cutters from the local hardware store for $16.99 and proceeded to test my arrangement. OH MY GOD, I cut off all my Master locks and large diameter cable lock in less that 30 seconds, and I was taking my time... :p My Master locks say: Hardened steel....I cut through that like it was a twig. The HD braided cable was even easier :D &%$#@!?

I need to add electronic pager/motion/trip wire/flares/handgrenades to my configuration. I always had a hard time sleeping at hotels with my bike in the parking lot, but now I'll never do that again without more protection. :D Suggestions anyone? This really has me concerned! :)

Don't let it bother you to much all you have to do is get pitbull and inject it with aids then tie it to your bike (plus have your bike insured) :)

True, but my KX250 and KLX110 are not insured:excuseme:

Did buy a Kryptonite 4 sided chain w/Padlock tonight $35.00 It says it's able to withstand bolt cutters, saws, hammers and files....is this true?

My shopping list:

1.) Disk locks.

German Shephard/Rott/Pitt and a bit of string?

Seriously tho, I got one of those 36" bolt cutters and couldn't cut off a ($30) 3/8" master lock. Had to call a locksmith, he couldn't pick it, and it took a good minute with a hardened dremel bit. Most locks just keep honest people from getting bad ideas.

I got the trained "German bloodline" German Shepherd, but can't always take the dog. :)

Add 3/8" Master locks to my list.....maybe even an enclosed trailer.

German Shephard/Rott/Pitt and a bit of string?

Seriously tho, I got one of those 36" bolt cutters and couldn't cut off a ($30) 3/8" master lock. Had to call a locksmith, he couldn't pick it, and it took a good minute with a hardened dremel bit. Most locks just keep honest people from getting bad ideas.

If someone really wants it all you can do is slow them down a bit.

There is a new cordless lithium ion dremel out, wouldn't be surprised if there

are some ********* theifs out there using them with a diamond cutter on locks.

I have not tried the bic pen in my disc lock yet, but it will probably

work like they do on the kryptonite barrel locks.

I got the trained "German bloodline" German Shepherd, but can't always take the dog. :)

Add 3/8" Master locks to my list.....maybe even an enclosed trailer.

Good choice on the dog - shepherds are one of the best dogs, maybe the best IMO, but I digress....

Forgot to mention the noise and sparks that 3/8" lock threw off when cutting, not many thiefs would want to draw that much attention. Maybe get a battery operated motion sensor ($15 or so) and just lie it face down on the seat if you don't want a full blown motorcycle alarm kit? I got one for the garage that has a 10 second delay and requires a small plug-in key to disable it. Crooks run from noise generally.

You really can't stop theive's unless you shoot them :)

Lock's just slow them down, They live to steal, Lock's or whatever deterent you use, It just create's a challenge for the low life scum sucker's of society..

jeez guys for a mere $100 a year progressive will insure the bike. Seriously it's less than 30 cents per day. :)

Replacement cost, or depreciated value of stock price?

Suggestions anyone? This really has me concerned! :)

Alarms are the only way to go. The theives are stealing people's trucks with the trailers from hotels, then after cutting your locks, they ditch your truck. Alarms for the truck and the bikes.

INSURANCE!!!!

Locks and alarms only slow them down a little. Suppose it catches fire? Get insurance and then you can get that new bike you wanted.

As you guys know me and my son's bikes got stolen in SF at the SX. Well, after buying new bikes, I also bought these(ahem)little gems. These WILL slow them down. Waaaaaaaaaay down. Have a look at these.......

The "beast" by www.onguardlock.com 14lbs. $109.00

beast1.JPG

beast2.JPG

beast3.JPG

jeez guys for a mere $100 a year progressive will insure the bike. Seriously it's less than 30 cents per day. :)

Well, not in my part of California (about $300/year), and if you race your bike you are not covered at all.

I use the lock shown here...

http://www.lockitt.com/chaininfo.htm

Well, not in my part of California (about $300/year), and if you race your bike you are not covered at all.

I have State farm and insure my 05 CRF450 for $163.00/year full coverage.

They won't cover and damage or liability if said damage or liability occurs racing though...........