Sign in to follow this  

Nevada Registration

I have a XR 650R and I want to register it in Nevada. I currently live in Kalifornia... I have a bud who lives near Reno andI will put him on the title. What do I need to do to this thing to get it registered (lights/horn/turn signals)? Do I need to take it to be inspected?

Proof of Insurance most likely as well.

Your opening a can of worms doing it the way you describe.

How are you going to explain the Nevada plate & your buddies name on reg.

when your pulled over in California? I guess you could always say you

are borrowing or buying it from him. The insurance would be tricky,

especially if you get hurt and need to file a claim.

DMV gives you a Inspection paper that needs to be signed off by a repair shop or Bike shop. VIN inspection at DMV. I just did my XR 400 with just a Baja designs kit. Insurance. and that's it.

Proof of Insurance most likely as well.

Your opening a can of worms doing it the way you describe.

How are you going to explain the Nevada plate & your buddies name on reg.

when your pulled over in California? I guess you could always say you

are borrowing or buying it from him. The insurance would be tricky,

especially if you get hurt and need to file a claim.

Thats not a problem, it's when your NV reg and your CA drivers lic show up. You can always borrow your buddy's bike.

I'm not real worried about the CA driver's lic and NV tag. One owner will be a NV resident... The amount of "on-road" time will be minimal. Insurance will be on my policy as it is now.

Like Sandobum said, it's easy in Nv to register the BRP. The bike shops have inspection forms and only takes a few minutes. Hope Nv never becomes like the PRC. (People's Republic of California)

Check chapters 484-486 of N.R.S. headlamp,taillamp,turnsignals,stoplamp,(operated from both brakes),horn,mirrors(two required),muffler(in good working condition),fenders(two),reflectors(red one on rear),brakes(both wheels). :)

I did the same thing with my DRZ. It was pretty easy. I registered it in my name, and all my paperwork gets sent to my house in San Diego. If I get pulled over, I just have to tell the cop that I keep my bike in Nevada, and brought it out for the weekend. What can they do? I have had it registered there for almost a year, and have had no problems. I wouldn't worry about it, especially if your registering it in your friends name.

well folks, looks like I am not the only one...currently have my 04 wr250 in the shop being "updated" with all necessary equipment so it can be registered in Nv...Well, lets say, a family member is going to be a proud new owner of WR...they say i can borrow it for rides down here in so cal...

Hey guys,

When you go out of state too dual sport register your bikes can you later register in California with the goal of retaining the dual registration with a new Ca. plate?

Hey guys,

When you go out of state too dual sport register your bikes can you later register in California with the goal of retaining the dual registration with a new Ca. plate?

It's been a while since I looked into it, but last I looked, if you buy a used street legal bike, and it has over 7500 miles (dirt bikes don't have odometers, so the mileage is an "estimate"), then it remains legal in california. I hope somebody can confirm this, because it would be a simple process of selling the bike to my friend in Reno, then buying it back as a dual-sport. Also, does anybody know if the DMV hassles you for selling a vehicle for $1? (only $0.08 tax :) )