Sign in to follow this  

Bike starts only when cold,runs 5 min + Dies. Help

I live at 5500 feet and followed Burned's jetting protocol for the DRZ400S. It doesn't pop anymore and has good power and sound. It doesn't smell like gas either, but it dies after 5 minutes and is hard to start again. I haven't check the plug again to look at color. Any ideas? Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Chris

did you get the petcock vacuum line hooked back up?

what jetting did you use?

most of the bike soyu see here are at sea level.out jetting is different.

I used a 125 main jet since my dealer didn't have a 126, and a 25 pilot jet. I have the dynojet needle with the clip on the 3rd ring and all the stock spacers in it too, airbox hole, stock exhaust.

Sounds like the vacume line from the petrol tap to the carby is off

If you switch the petrol tap to prime dus it run ok then

If so it is the vacume line

Stuck float maybe? Sounds like it's not filling the float bowl up fast enough. I'd check the flow out of the gas line too. Turn to prime with the gas line off (catch the gas of course) to see how well it flows.

Same thing happened to mine. Try running it without the gas cap. I had to tinker with it for a while until I got it to work right. Then I bought a new tank. :)

check the gas cap to make sure its venting.

Same thing I was going to suggest. I had a street bike once that acted the same way. I ended up taking the gas cap apart and finding little rubber one-way valves. For some reason they weren't allowing the tank to vent so I removed one of them and the problem went away.

Yes, the gas cap vent. That's what caused my buddies 91 GSXR1100 to quit running while we were down in Knoxville TN back in 97. I went through all these things with the bike in a Knoxville motel room. Finally determined it was the vent. The bike would run fine for about 5 minutes, then would die. Wait 10 minutes and the bike would start and run again (ie, the gas flow was very very slow, it couldn't fill up the float bowls fast enough) I popped the gas cap, and then it would run fine. Vapor lock. :)

Gas tank venting!!!!!

Run the bike until it quits like it always does then remove the gas cap. I am betting you will here a vacuum being relieved.