Sign in to follow this  

01-02 400 ?

I just sold my 250 EXC, this had to be the toughest bike i`ve ever own. In the 4 years i owned this bike it NEVER broke down. All i ever did was change the tranny oil every now and then. Made me a BIG fan of KTMs.

I just bought my two sons CRF250Xs, i like them so much i was thinking about the 450X. But going thru the motorcycle trader i can find some good deals on 01-02 400 EXCs and thinking about that route.

My question is (and i know it`s been ask before) what do you look out for with these years, and hows the reliability

The 01 and 02 400exc is a great bike. Mine has 5,000 trouble miles. It is ideal for all kinds of trail work. I could buy a new 450 or 525, but like the 400 so much I have no interest in a new bike. The WP seals, cam bearings and cam gear are known weak spots, and I've replaced them all at about 2,500 miles. Total cost about $250 for all. It is not a powerhouse. Coming off a 250exc (two stroke I assume), you will notice a difference. The 400 has solid and almost electric power delivery, but nothing excessive. I can ride the bike all day with no trouble. If it is in good shape, you will enjoy the bike for trail work.

R

This is what I would do - if you can find a good deal on one buy it - send the motor to Travis - So. Cal - and have him replace the cam bearing / decomp. nut on cam gear and put the FAMOUS 450 kit in. The 450 is a GREAT motor - My 01 has been completely pullet proof - has never failed me!!

Good luck

dp

This is what I would do - if you can find a good deal on one buy it - send the motor to Travis - So. Cal - and have him replace the cam bearing / decomp. nut on cam gear and put the FAMOUS 450 kit in. The 450 is a GREAT motor - My 01 has been completely pullet proof - has never failed me!!

Good luck

dp

They are a very well sorted bike except the snivels referenced above, cam bearings are an 01 only issue, the cam gear fixes a problem that was with us thru 02, the big bore kit makes it a phabulous engine, but the 400 was good with those snivels fixed. IF you can take it to someone who knows there way thru these engines they can confirm if the cam gear is changed just by removing the top cover which you do when setting valves anyway. Oh well, you have 8 Titanium valves to take care of now, your going to get used to doing top end work

After riding streetbikes since 82, and sportbikes since 90, valve work doesn`t bother me. 4 will be a lot easier than 16 :)

But if it has a lot less power than my 250, well......

But i can find them with all kinds of goodies already put on for a little over $3000.