Sign in to follow this  

Question for the guys...

Hey all~

My fiance got me into riding when we started dating about three years ago...and I'm soo hooked. I'd never touched a bike and he was kind and persistent in teaching me--now I out-jump him :) He's my favorite riding buddy...and vice versa.

Our friend, who rides with us, is hesitant to teach his girlfriend to ride...for various reasons, including, this is his 'guy' thing.

I'm looking for the pros and cons (from the guys perspective) of having your significant other riding...

Your thoughts?

Yea, GO GIRL!!!! Your friend sounds like his agenda is all messed up. Riding isn't about getting away from the old lady or getting away from mowing the yard it's about getting together to ride and have fun, and if the womenfolk ride, bring them along too. :)

My fiance' went riding for her first time ever last Labor Day and we both had an absolute blast. She is totally hooked, after we get married we are getting her bike! She has all of her gear picked out, (she wants that to be part of her wedding present). Watching her have a great time was better for me than the actual ride because I know it's something that we can do together and also when we have a family it's an excellent healthy activity that the whole family can do together. :D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::cry::lol::D:lame::lame::):):p:D:D:o;):D

I am currently encouraging my wife to ride. She is very hesitant so it is a long slow process, I want her to do it when SHE is ready. Anyway, the only downside would be it sure would suck to see her get hurt. :D I would have a hard time with that. :) Other than that, I think it would be awesome for her to ride with me, not all the time, but most of the time it would be great. Plus, when our boys get older we could do it as a whole family. :p I think some guys have confidence issues and use the 'guy thing' as an excuse. Either that or they are just really into dudes? :)

Hey all~

Our friend, who rides with us, is hesitant to teach his girlfriend to ride...for various reasons, including, this is his 'guy' thing.

I'm looking for the pros and cons (from the guys perspective) of having your significant other riding...

Your thoughts?

My thought is this guy is insecure. Riding is about having fun period. The more the merrier I say! If your significant other wants to ride too, well I say what more could one ask for in a companion?

I also think his ego is overly inflated as well. While a small minority of the best professional riders in the world can be arrogant at times, most you will find are quite humble.

This guy has zero humility. Especially if riding with a “chick” will offend his tender manhood? Please, tell her to stop dating a boy and find herself a real man!

I am trying to get my wife into riding now, I think its great, but I also take my wife fishing with me and shooting with me, I really enjoy being with her, she is my best friend, and I really do have more fun with her than without her, and I would like to think that most married couples would think the same way. I do have ride times with the "guys", but I would rather be riding with my wife.

aint easy to watch a girlfriend get hurt. If it was doing something you got them started doing, you take the blame. I dont imagen that is much fun.

Interesting thread... but I'm bumping it to the 'General' forum, as you don't want the ladies' opinions, and the thumpette forum IS for the ladies! Plus I think you'll get more male response there! :)

I got my girl into MX a few years ago. I got her a XR200 and she learned the basics real quick. Now she has a YZ250F and can ride the wheels off it. She wants to go riding more than I do sometimes, she always puts more laps in than I do and she still makes me lunch and helps load and unload the trailer and everything. She has become more than my fiancee, she has become my best ridding buddy too. I don't regret getting her started riding, I do regret waiting so long to get her started though.

my riding buddy's wife always seems to be the reason why he cant go riding with me. but imagine if she was into riding...then she'd want to go and he'd be calling me up to go riding!

my riding buddy's wife always seems to be the reason why he cant go riding with me. but imagine if she was into riding...then she'd want to go and he'd be calling me up to go riding!

That's how I always saw it! I guess it would be different if you were trail riding, but at the track where everyone rides at their own level anyway...

My fiance spent a lot of time riding around with me as I learned, and I'm sure it took tons of patience, but he'd go ride with his friends when I quickly wore out.

I am trying to get my wife into riding now, I think its great, but I also take my wife fishing with me and shooting with me, I really enjoy being with her, she is my best friend, and I really do have more fun with her than without her, and I would like to think that most married couples would think the same way. I do have ride times with the "guys", but I would rather be riding with my wife.

I take my wife fishing and hunting also as I need someone to retreive the ducks out of the lake that I shoot and to cook the fish I catch :)

Only kidding,I'am going to teach my wife to ride, (but not for a while, bun in the oven) as my kids (7 and 5) :) come riding with me and it would be great to all go riding together

I would love to have my wife ride with me. She likes to watch SX with me and actually thinks it's cool. I keep joking with her telling her I'm going to get her a bike, but she just laughs it off :)

My wife rides with me as well as 2 of my 4 boys.. My 3 year old and my 8 year old ride the others are to young.. I cant think of anything better then be out therewith my familiy rippin trails and climbing hills!! If it is something I am into my whole familiy is welcome with me anytime anywhere!!!

iT MUST BE TRUE CAUSE i SAID IT!!! :)

blondemxer, I'd consider that this guy isn't really serious about his girlfriend. If he was he'd want to spend as much time as possible with her. After 18+yrs. I still like doing everything I can with my wife.

Joe

Hey all~

My fiance got me into riding when we started dating about three years ago...and I'm soo hooked. I'd never touched a bike and he was kind and persistent in teaching me--now I out-jump him :) He's my favorite riding buddy...and vice versa.

Your thoughts?

as a general statement, most women ride slow and complain a lot.

my old lady rides OK (slow, but not annoyingly slow), but if conditions aren't perfect her attitude turns to sh_t in a hurry.

I'm excited about getting my wife to ride! She has a girlfriend that has a CRF100 she's learning on. The 2 times she's been have been short and in crap locations. I'm hoping things will smooth out for her. I'm getting my almost 7 year old daughter into it too. I think it will be a fun sport for us to share. Summer family riding is just around the corner! I can't wait!

Like SoCalDirtDevil says, "the more the merrier"...

Amen,

Dan

Thats killa. I lost 2 g/f's cause of riding. I remember I was going out w/ this really hot brazilian chick (beleive what you want) and I told her I couldent go see her tomorrow because it was sunday an she knows I have to race on Sunday. Supposively she got in a fight w/ her parents to let her come see me and cried an started throwing stuff at them al because she wanted to see me. And she said what is more important to you, riding or me. I said thats easy riding an I hung up, havent seen her since last summer, she goes to a different school so it's easy. The next day I had one of the funnest days at southwick ever!

It's simple.. My wife rides= I ride more often, I get to build, mod and play with bikes more often, I get to go out on big boy rides more often, and with no bad feelings of being "left" at home.. Most of all....I get to spend great times and adventures with the woman I love,, and chose to spend my life with.. all while doing something we both love doing....

Riding with family, wither it be a younger chilid or wife (girlfriend) is only a down side if you do not like the person your spending the time with :) And that would be a down side 24/7..not just while riding.

I like riding with my wife so much,,,,,we are buying a nice new toy hauler,,,to enhance the family time riding.

Lets see,, in closing

Riding with the wife.. More time with my wife, more riding time period.. more of everything.. Up,,It's all good. If you don't like riding with your wife.....it's time for a new wife. :)

I would love it if my fiance would ride. She has tried just around the camp and was ok.

My riding buddies wife and daughter both have bikes and ride with us sometimes.

that's cool and all and adds a different feeling to those riding days.

But to be honest ( this will probably be sound sexist) we cannot ride the way we like to with the women around.

We trail ride in north baja most of the time and ride at a pretty damn fast pace. We regularly will cover 200 miles in a days ride. That is how we have fun, riding hard. The women would end up 2 hours behind, lost, scared, hurt, or all of the above.

When they are with us I end up riding in the back to make sure no one gets lost or whatever and riding at what feels like a crawl. It's cool and nice to have the ladies with us, we get in less trouble when they are around. But it is not the same thing.

Now this is not to say that IF these particular women were better riders and pushed hard like we do it would be better. I think it would be different on an mx track. Blasting across the dessert and 95mph in the middle of nowhere is a totally different deal.

I would love for my fiance to ride with me, and see some of the amazing country I see, and get the rush I get. Would be great to share that experience, but I just don't see that happening.