Sign in to follow this  

New 04 w/ tranny trouble

I have an 04 RMZ250 that was purchased new in DEC04 off the showroom floor. Today I had my 1st problem which might turn out to be a pretty big one.

I am having trouble with the shifter getting jammed and not letting me downshift or shift up. I first noticed it today while riding it got stuck in fourth gear and it wouldn't downshift so I rode it back to truck. After letting it sit and saying a few choice words I decided to try to get to neutral, which I did. Then I fired it back up and rode through a pasture beside track and it shifted but it seemed to be catchy. While returning to truck it would not down shift again so I decided to try to shift up to 4th but it wouldn't do that either. I have played with it off and on hear at the house and the problem seems to come and go but I am not sure what is happening.

I have not forced anything and there are no obvious external reasons for the problem. I am new to 4smokes so any help would be appreciated. It is very frustrating to have a bike that is 3mo old and to have tranny probs already. :)

Thanks

A friend had the same problem and the tranny went a few weeks later. Suzuki covered it and put a new one in. You will have to get the dealer to try and convince them that it is a defect though. Also keep a good check on those valves. Mine blew apart last sunday.

tranny problems occur often in these bikes with dirty oil. Mine starts to shift funny after about 3 hours on the oil, so change the oil frequentyly, and since it's new, take it to the dealership and get it fixed under warrenty now before it messed some bad stuff up.

I have changed the oil after every ride and I change the filter every other ride. I am not so sure that there is a warranty on these bikes but I will find out Tues. when the dealership opens back up. Thanks for the info though

Yeah I just checked the owner's manual and it says "AS IS" with NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. Man, that makes you feel real good when you just dropped 5 thousand to purchase their damn bike that they won't even stand behind. I looked and the bike was purchased on DEC 15th and it wasn't ridden till after Xmas and it might have 20hrs maybe. Probably is my 1st and last Susuki!!! :)

Dude that aint Suzuki, all manufactures have the "As is" warranty. I bought a 04' KTM Pro Sr, and two days later the shock mount fell off. To bad so sad! Had to wait for ever for KTM to come up with one. However I hope ya get it figured out.

The "AS IS" no warranty is to protect themselves from Liability Law suits... more than to not having to pay for defective parts. Both Suzuki and Kawasaki have offered some warranty repair for these bikes.. Have your dealer "Go to Bat" for you with the manufacturer.. If they don't get a new dealer !

Mate I"m doing a rebuild on my son's rmz,The bigend bearing collapsed. But the problem I found was a crack in the casing running from the primary gear bearing, We had no problems with the gear shifting and all the gears are in prime condition. I'd say get the engine split, the dealer will help you out it's there business their looking after.

The only indication of the big end going was piston slap, one to keep an ear to. other than that the bike is awesome my son like it that much he brought an 05 model. which he races on and practices with the 04 rmz.

Thanks for info guys. My bike is at dealership and it waiting to be tore down to see what the problem is. Suzuki rep. has informed the dealer that they may be able to help out but need to know exact problem before saying " yes or no". I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Dealership called today and said they had an answer for my tranny trouble. Turns out that is was a tooth off the kickstart gear that broke off and caused the problem and then some. I went down to see for myself. It was the kickstart gear tooth and it scarred the clutch basket, a few plates, the case and cover and there is a small crack in the case. I guess the case cracked when the tooth got hung behind the basket. Anyway now the parts alone total 1052.00. I sure hope Suzuki will pull through for me on this one or my wife will sh**.

I here some piston slap in our RMZ just since our rebuild. I'm at a loss as to why. You say it can be from the housing being cracked near the primary gear bearing housing? This has my attention because we had trouble getting the high torque on the primary gear and I wonder if we may have cracked the housing by wedging material into the primary gear to hold it while we torqued the nut. What do you think?

Jim Bracken

Good news!!! Suzuki IS helping out with the parts and hopefully I will have my bike back sometime this week or next. Hats off to my dealer and the Suzuki rep for our area for doing everything possible.