Sign in to follow this  

The Truth about my Honda's Valves

Got all my stuff back from RHC this week and reassembled today. Honda has been very kind to provide us w/ (4) timing checks:

mark inside right crank cover

marks on flywheel inside left crank cover

piston @ TDC

cam sprocket marks and bolt positions

Getting all these aligned will leave you no choice but to be timed dead on. :)

Anyway, I put her all back together today and she fired up a lot sooner than I had expected. :)

I put OEM shroud graphics back on and the DX1 number backgrounds. I'm not nuts about the DX1s w/ the yellow "CRF" on the shroud, but oh well.

Here's a couple pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v454/125shifter/?action=view&current=450Right.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/125shifter/450Left.jpg

piston @ TDC

How are you gettin TDC? Got a dial gauge down the plug hole? Know where I can get a adapter for a 2" stroke dial gauge that threads into the plug hole?

TIA

How are you gettin TDC?

I get the timing marks lined up on both sides and look in the spark plug hole. When the marks are on and the piston is up, all that's left to do is get the cam sprocket on and lined up w/ it's mark and the cam chain is all taken up.

I'm sure you're aware, but I state it anyway:

There are 2 covers that require hex t-handles (or any hex driver I guess) to remove; a large one under the tranny fill cap and the other just behind the oil fill cap. The one on the right (tranny) requires a 10mm hex to remove and a 10 or an 8 to turn (I forget which one). Get that mark lined up close and look in the left side and while reaching around to the right side, turn the t-handle so that the 2 marks on the flywheel are centered on their mark. Once done, take a peak thru the plug hole and the piston ought to be very easy to see.

With the cam holder in place and torqued down, make sure the cam lobes are pointing very close to straight back. The decomp mechanism ought to have just passed. Place get the sprocket in and taking up the chain to where the mark on the sprocket is aligned with the mark on the holder. The cam can only be in 2 positions at this point; lobes pointing back like I described above is where you want them. The holes in the sprocket will be closely aligned with the threads on the end of the cam. A combination of adjusting where the teeth on the sprocket land on the chain and all the alingment point will have you exact.

I'm sure none of that makes sense 'cause I ain't no good at splain'n stuff. But I will say that the Hondas are much more user friendly in this respect than blue.