Sign in to follow this  

Tahuya = Packed (Sat, 19th)

So many RV's at all the trailheads. I thought there might be a poker run going on, sheesh

Honestly I am sick of that whole RV/36 foot 5th wheel routine out there.

half a dozen of the RVs with trailers etc flow in, camp out and take up 6-8 parking slots each.......

On that note

How about a petition, emails or letters to the DNR that those huge rigs be restricted to established camping areas ONLY and only when they are open.

No over night in the staging areas, no rigs over xx feet, no RVs etc etc.

Staging area is for day rides only, close the places after sun goes down.

You want to camp, then go to a camping area.

wrong what those folks do......totally wrong and beyond selfish, and every time I have been out there, its clear they dont give a squat about anyone else being able to park or stage.

Its a staging area, not a camping area.

HR

:)

Honestly I am sick of that whole RV/36 foot 5th wheel routine out there.

half a dozen of the RVs with trailers etc flow in, camp out and take up 6-8 parking slots each.......

On that note

How about a petition, emails or letters to the DNR that those huge rigs be restricted to established camping areas ONLY and only when they are open.

No over night in the staging areas, no rigs over xx feet, no RVs etc etc.

Staging area is for day rides only, close the places after sun goes down.

You want to camp, then go to a camping area.

wrong what those folks do......totally wrong and beyond selfish, and every time I have been out there, its clear they dont give a squat about anyone else being able to park or stage.

Its a staging area, not a camping area.

HR

People were roping off stalls then leaving, parking rv's sideways (taking up 6-10 stalls) and racing around the staging area as if it were a flat track. I will gladly sign a petition or voice my opinion to the DNR!

I was out there Today (Sunday Feb 20). The place was PACKED!! 8 am and the main staging area was totally full. I should have know when I saw the motorhomes at what I thought was "Day use only" Mission Creak Trailhead. We ended up parking at Goat Ranch road and headed out to the Howell lake loop and where we were able to get away from the crowds. When we got back to the trucks the whole area was buzzing with Bikes everywhere.

I guess we can blame it on the Sunny Three Day Weekend.

So what if a family,, chooses to use a toy hauler to transport their bikes.. use it as a place to change,, store gear,, wash up after riding.... use as a place those riders who ride less then a full day can hang out while the others continue to ride... all as a single day event.. What of them?

So what if a family,, chooses to use a toy hauler to transport their bikes.. use it as a place to change,, store gear,, wash up after riding.... use as a place those riders who ride less then a full day can hang out while the others continue to ride... all as a single day event.. What of them?

I'm sure people would agree that if that's your setup, that's your setup and it's nice to be able to do that (wash up, hang out). The majority of people at the Mission creek trailhead and Elfendahl pass were definately camped out for the weekend.

If I was hauling my bike in a truck I could have parked at Elfendahl pass in the one tight spot that was open. I have a trailer for my bike so I parked on the side of the main road.

I just wanted to inform people that were headed that way for the weekend :)

Guess you need to understand what the issue is then.

The staging areas are small to begin with.

Only one "staging" area has latrine set ups, and at best it could support 40 folks with trucks/trailer set ups.

Issue is that it only takes a handfull of "camping" rigs take up an entire staging area, and sprawl out taking as much space as possible, with zero regard for anyone else.

There are designated camping areas....."C-a-m-p-i-n-g Areas" that those rigs could go.

I dont nor does anyone else have issues with "One rig, one designated parking slot."

If you can get your rig into one slot, go for it, unload your junk and go ride, real easy.

Get a truck with an enclosed trailer...its long, and DNR has the slots marked out for those rigs. But one rig, sprawling out and taking over 4-6 slots....nope. Dont set up a Gypsy camp in the process and keep 4-6 other families from staging and riding.

Thats the issue.

Thats what we are talking about.

Simple math.

Take a couple of hours to load and get out there more than once only having to turn around and go back home cause the 36 foot RVs with 25 foot trailers have each set up camp taking up 6 slots in the staging area, and no place legal for you to park, and if you park along side the road MR. DNR comes and tags you or makes you move/leave.

You are right The "RV/Trailer" folks -- they have the trailers to change in, johns to go in, showers to shower in, tables to eat at etc so clearly they dont need to park and totally take over the only place that has porta-type johns, ONLY paved area to change in and load vs huge trailers/rigs where you can do all that anywhere in any camp site.

There are "camping areas" the DNR could open during the winter season. They manage the area, I am sure if folks bring up the issue and lay out what is happening, they can open one of the camps, they have the room for the huge rigs, and leaves the staging areas open for staging.

When folks arrive in those rigs and pull out the rope and begin to sector off huge chunks of the small staging area for their personal camp area....thats out of control.

Will bring the issue up to the DNR and let them deal with it as they choose.

They are the managers, the keepers of the land out there.

HR

This kind of thing irritates me too. :)

Next time I'm in Olympia I will check and see who is in charge of this Division of DNR. I was there last Thursday and met the man in charge of Resource Protection. I believe he answers to Donald Sutherland. Anyway it would have been pretty easy to find someone in charge of camping, parking or ORV parks. Once I'm through the front office it is pretty easy to find the right person for an informal chat. Anyone know who that might be????

Here is a link to our tax dollars at work. DNR has converted COBRA gunship helicopters into firefighting choppers. :) Picture taken at Olympia airport-DNR hanger Thursday.

dnrfirecobra0042.jpg

ive never been to these particular spots, im newer to WA. But Being from MI, i ve seen big riding areas, with the big rig setups.

The problem i think, lies in staging areas being to small, with not enough public areas(IE, bathrooms, shelter, BBQ, camp spots) Not with people having to big of rigs.

Weve pushed the idea that this is a family sport(It is), and familys nowadays have the need and budget to have these mobile "cabins". If there was a more conveniant place to park, with trail acess, they would be there. They dont like having there high dollar rigs sitting there getting dusty and listening to "Lil Johnny rip thru the pits" All day.

Hell even my Dakota and Popup is to big for most spots, and that's as small as it gets in setups, smaller than a fullsize and bike trailer. If our money was spent properly, there would be no problem with space, access. or public use area's.

I could have sworn that when I went through the Elfendahl pass lot, looking for a spot, I saw a DNR rig with a trailer parked on the outer ring of the established parking lot.

Obviously out on thier bikes scouting the trails. You would think/hope they would relay the message back to thier troops/boss's about the state of parking situation there.

I must agree that it gets me fired up when I roll into Elfendahl pass on a Thursday or Friday morning, and see one RV and three pickups (his friends) have blocked off about 25% of the available paved parking area, and about half of the grassy/picnic table/day use area. It's great that they get out with the families for the whole weekend, but they don't need to hog so much room.

In their defense, I don't think there is much area out there really set up for big rigs and group camping. Maybe I'm wrong? :)

there are plenty of places for the larger rigs to park at Belfair.

I am sure due to costs, maybe where the moneys we pay for ORV tags that get "appropriated" by the State Legis folks for other things.....who knows, not that THAT would ever happen or has.....

I have nothing against the big rigs, I wish I was at a point in my life I could own one, some of em are very kewl. But......

Lots of large camping areas at Belfair.

If folks want to go out there with the huge rigs, I would imagine one of the camps in the off season could be opened for those folks in order to enjoy their rigs, and not at the expense of everyone else. I am probably sure they would be willing to pay a small fee in order to stay out there as well where they can spread out like they want and not be all packed in a crowded staging area.

So.....talking to the DNR, explaining the situation and impact and let them make the decisions, if any are to be made.

Rangers are patroling, and honestly not looking at this situation.

HR

Rangers are patroling, and honestly not looking at this situation.

HR

Agreed, I think they have enough work on thier hands, good to see them active out there :p

Its bad enough that we have to fight to keep 1,000 fiends of washington from shutting down our riding areas. We should'nt start fighting amongst ourselves :) . The more you have Olympia looking into our riding the more they will shut it down. Get over the parking!!! at least its still open. start fighting Olympia to open MORE RIDING AREAS!!!! If you want a pettition start one to force them to open riding areas.

Guess you need to understand what the issue is then.

The issue and some of the suggestions are what I have at odds :D

I can see some of THE issues with it.. the parking lot racers :o the parking of a long rig which can take up two spaces,, and park sideways,, using up 5 spaces ;) Leaving the staging area,, and "roping" off a section of land like a 1800 CA land rights squatter :D

That is all BS,, and I can see why folks would get upset about it. :)

I disagree with the mentality of,, "those kind of people should not be allowed in my staging area" this thread has leaned towards :)

Some choose to haul bikes and gear in a vehicle that is larger then yours (which is pretty hard to do considering the "normal" SUV and trailer length some of YOU use :D ) It's not always about camping :D My current trailer is 16 feet long, open, and fits my three bikes, fuel cans, air tank, ect,, It is towed by a 261" long truck,, That is considered huge by some,, say those who toss a bike in the back of a standard bed truck and show up in the staging area,, looking for a parking spot.. Should I not be allowed to stage there???

What if I tow using a 226" SUV and a very long snowmobile trailer,, am I too large to park in the staging area?

What if I tow a 348" trailer,, that hauls my bikes, gear, a place to store and cook my family lunch, wash the kids (and adults hand) before lunch, and after a ride.. A place to hang out and get warm during the winter rides,, a place for some riders to chill out while other riders go for a boys ride?? should I be allowed to use YOUR staging area?

The 3 times I have been to those staging areas,, I saw nothing like what has been complained about in this thread,(except the parking lot racers that are now and will always be present), But I can see how it could be a big deal.. :D Folks should park in a mannor that uses up the LEAST amount of space.. and if CAMPING for the week,,, and another place that has the SAME trail access is available.. GO there :p

But if,, the "Big Rig " is just the method to get the gear there... and common courtesy is followed.. I see no reason not to use the staging area to stage from,, just like the guys with little toy cars and trucks :thumbsup:

I rode through there on Saturday on my dual-sport bike.. and it was the largest crowds I've ever seen there on a non-event day and I have been riding out there off and on since 1990. The Spillmen campground was open and it was packed as well. I own a RV but I think it's inconsiderate and selfish of RV owners to bring their mammoth rigs to the staging area; even for a day ride and I sure don't think it's unreasonable to limit vechicles and trailers to a certain length and to prohibit overnight camping there. That's not what the staging areas are for.

RV sales are at an all time high; so are off-road vechicle sales and this type of thing will only get more and more common.. ever see Glamis Dunes in Southern California on a holiday? it's a freaking zoo.. so yeah, we all gotta live and ride together, but some folks just need some educating on showing respect and courtesy and sometimes the law needs to step in to help out in that.

Agreed, I think they have enough work on thier hands, good to see them active out there :)

I wouldn't be so sure. The LEO's and rangers are on the front lines and I know that one of the things they look at is the impact to the areas we ride and they keep tabs on usage in order to predict environmental impact, the health of the eco system etc. You can bet the kind of crowds that were out there this weekend will not go un-noticed; for good or bad; down in Olympia

I rode through there on Saturday on my dual-sport bike.. and it was the largest crowds I've ever seen there on a non-event day and I have been riding out there off and on since 1990. The Spillmen campground was open and it was packed as well. I own a RV but I think it's inconsiderate and selfish of RV owners to bring their mammoth rigs to the staging area; even for a day ride and I sure don't think it's unreasonable to limit vechicles and trailers to a certain length and to prohibit overnight camping there. That's not what the staging areas are for.

RV sales are at an all time high; so are off-road vechicle sales and this type of thing will only get more and more common.. ever see Glamis Dunes in Southern California on a holiday? it's a freaking zoo.. so yeah, we all gotta live and ride together, but some folks just need some educating on showing respect and courtesy and sometimes the law needs to step in to help out in that.

Ok,, way to many comments,, some from those I do not know,, some from those whose opinions I know and respect for me to toss this all away,,as little people upset at some who have it better. So I have to wounder now,,If I'm making a mistake getting a toy hauler.. From the sounds of it.. not only will I have to fight with those who wish I never owned a dirt bike at all,, but now I can expect my fellow riders to try and lock me out of trails, and trail use areas :)

Obviously not what I was trying for.. Just a better way to get my family to the trails, and provide more enjoyment for all.

Perhaps this is just an issue with this one little part of bike Nirvana,, but I doubt it.... So,, I guess I'll have people pissed when I go to Goldendale, TSF, Eddyville, Trask, Clearcreek, Hollister, etc etc.. The piece of equipment that will allow my family to better enjoy the sport,, will piss off others who travel in smaller trucks & trailer ..at their local spots.

I'd suggest,, you lobby for bigger staging areas :) Respect is a two way street.... I'll park respectfully,, educate my kids as to safety and trail etiquette.. Not expect a rezoning of a staging area so I can rope off my territory when I'm gone and expect the parking spot be there when I return. (that is the most ludicrous thing I have heard yet in this thread,, I do not doubt your word that it happens.. and yet wounder why that person did not return to a nicely coiled pile of rope,, next to the new vehicle that parked, STAGED there, whose owners went out riding. :p )

But others will have to respect that not every one transports a bike on a single rail trailer behind a jeep liberty

To my knowledge, there are no prohibitions on overnighting in the staging areas. Don't like it?, pull your panties out of your collective asses and park in the adjacent overflow parking. :)

Fair warning to everybody. I will be there with my hauler this weekend and so will a friend. I will not rope off any areas. I will use the minimum amount of space required. If anybody has a problem with that, get stuffed. :)

Next thing people will want to prohibit large displacement bikes because they were not intended for the tight trails and cause bottlenecks. What next? I understand people getting pissed about space hogs, but c’mon, give me a break. :p