Sign in to follow this  

Will the CRF250X be able to keep up with a YZ125

I am getting a CRF250X and i was wondering how much faster a YZ125 would accelerate than the X.

I don't know about a brand new YZ125, but I had an opportunity to drag race a 3 - 4 year old YZ125 several times. We would line up on a 300 ft. flat stretch that lead into a 300 ft. sand hill. My '05 X was stock and I think YZ was also. I could easily pull him out of the hole, but then he'd start to pull ahead. If I got a really good start, he'd never catch me. Now that I've done all the CCC mods, I don't think he'd be able to catch me at all. An '05 YZ may be a different story, but I'll have to wait to find out :) . On an MX-type track, I was easily able to keep up with a fairly good rider on an '03 RM125. He could dive deeper into the corners, but I'd pull up on him pulling out of the corners.

Alot depends on the level of riding that you are at compared to the level of the other guys on the 125. Just because your on a stroker dosen't really mean that your going to pull the holeshot every time. Just look at Stewart, he killed the 125 class on a two stroke.:)

I am getting a CRF250X and i was wondering how much faster a YZ125 would accelerate than the X.

I read the question to be strictly concerning acceleration and threw in the RM125 example as an aside. Granted, dirtbikes are not "dragsters", but during our play rides, it's amazing how often impromtu drag races happen; up sand hills particularly. Whether an X will beat a YZ125 in a 20 minute moto is completely rider dependent. And although Bubba won every race he finished, more often than not, he did not win the acceleration contest to the first turn. At least not till he jumped on the thumper :) .

I can beat most 450 riders on a 250f.

If you can out accelerate 450s on a 250, you need to tell them to pull the sock out of the air box :) .

When you watch most any bike above 50cc leave the line, thr rear tire is spinning. I cannot help but wonder if this is where most of our power goes.

The spinning tire is ''good''. Just look at the tractor pull competition, all they want is the tire to spin to get some speed. If the tire grip, the engine die. :)

If you were racing an older YZ125, it may be close. But, if it was between the new X and the new '05 YZ125 I'm sure with Yamaha would pull away. That bike is amazing. If both riders had equal skill, I think the YZ125 would win.

Doug

If you were racing an older YZ125, it may be close. But, if it was between the new X and the new '05 YZ125 I'm sure with Yamaha would pull away. That bike is amazing. If both riders had equal skill, I think the YZ125 would win.

Doug

I keep looking for one, but haven't seen one in action yet. I'll let you know when I do.

I have an 04' CRF250X. Near the end of summer 04' I bought a KX500. Its supposed to have at least 55 HP at the rear wheel. I quickly learned that when riding on dirt excessive HP results in not much more than excessive wheel spin and roost. For sure, the KX500 is much faster than the 250X. However, its not the rocket that you'd think compared to a hot, modern 250cc 2-stroke because its difficult to get the KX500 to hook up.

The excessive and instantaneous HP and torque results in more low sides. One bump on the throttle at the wrong time and down you go.

It seems to me that about 45 to 50 horse is the ideal peak HP for a woods or hare scramble bike. Open desert racing is a different situation.