GPS mounting bracket

I was just about to buy a Garmin eTrex GPS mounting bracket, but by the time I pay for shipping, I am looking at about $25...maybe I'm just being a tight-a$$, but that seems like a lot for what looks like a flimsy plastic mounting bracket. Does anyone else have one of these? Are they worth it? Does anyone else make one cheaper, or is there a retailer that sells them cheaper than Garmin?

Im not sure about the mount garmin makes but RAM makes mounts for everything and there plastic also. I used one for awhile but the vibes killed my gps and I bought a tourtech mount with isolation dampers and its awesome. Cost is about $100 compared to $25 but it will save the unit alot of abuse and it looks real good.

Im not sure about the mount garmin makes but RAM makes mounts for everything and there plastic also. I used one for awhile but the vibes killed my gps and I bought a tourtech mount with isolation dampers and its awesome. Cost is about $100 compared to $25 but it will save the unit alot of abuse and it looks real good.

I've run a RAM mount on my eTrex Legend for almost two years. I haven't had a single vibration issue with it yet. I am running the 3" arm with double rubber ball mounts as well as rubber between the handlebar and the ubolt bracket. ?

I've also been using a Ram mount with my Etrex Vista for the last couple of years with no problems. Cycoactive has some tips about isolating your GPS from vibration, like taping the batteries. I made my own external battery pack with a double "D" size batter holder (available at Radio shack for a couple bucks) and a connector that I got on-line at pfranc.com. Just e-mail them and make a pledge for how much you will pay for the connector. He will then send you however many you ordered. Once you get the connector, you send in your pledge. It's nice to see the "honor" system still works. ?

Anyhow, his connectors are good quality, molded plastic parts and mine works great.

I can run my E-trex Vista for a whole riding season on two "d" batteries, and there is no need to hard-wire anything into the bike's electrical system (and worry about converting from 12V to 3v for the Etrex input). Plus you don't have issues with vibration related "shut-down" because you aren't running off of the internal E-trex batteries. Works great! ?

If you use a Ram mount, just be sure to keep the arm as horizontal and perpendicular to the up and down stroke of the piston as you can to get the best vibration dampening.

I just got my new Garmin 60c today. I plan on using 2" Velcro to mount in on the crossbar pad for my Protapers, I use rubberbands as safety's. I tested a Garmin 76s Velcro'd to my crossbar a couple of weeks ago, it worked flawlessly. I like the idea of my GPS sitting on foam instead of a rigid mount. I learned my lesson when I vibrated my Garmin 12 to death.. ?

Dan ?