Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a different shock spring?

I've got an '04 250X and I can't seem to get the suspension set up. I've never done it before, but I've been following the owner's manual instructions and the video from TT. Here's where I'm confused....

When I get the proper race sag set (100mm), the resulting sag with only the bike weight is 54mm. The book indicates that this second measurement should be 10 to 25mm. OK, OK, so I figured that the spring is too stiff for my weight, however, the manual says that the stock spring is appropriate for riders of 150lbs, plus or minus 10lbs. I'm 145 without helmet and boots. It seems like I should be right on with the stock spring. If I need to buy a softer spring, I will - I just don't want to buy it if there is something I'm doing wrong, or something different that I should do.

So what's up here? Has anybody run into the same scenario or have some insight?

Thanks!

I'm 155 lb without gear and my '05 X seems perfectly sprung for my weight. When I'm set for 95 mm race sag, I get around 20 - 25 mm static sag. It might have to do with how you're measuring. When I measure race sag, I'm in full gear with a full tank of gas and I sit upright in my "attack" position: forward on the seat where I sit when I'm diving into a loamy corner. How are you measuring? If you're doing everything right, are you sure you're bike has the original spring?

I weigh 142, i got lighter springs + a revavle front and rear. It is so much better. Iam not sure if the suspension would the same for the x.

I weigh 145 without gear, I just got my suspension done by MCR and they put a lighter spring on the rear but left the stock fork springs in.

I'm 155 lb without gear and my '05 X seems perfectly sprung for my weight. When I'm set for 95 mm race sag, I get around 20 - 25 mm static sag. It might have to do with how you're measuring. When I measure race sag, I'm in full gear with a full tank of gas and I sit upright in my "attack" position: forward on the seat where I sit when I'm diving into a loamy corner. How are you measuring? If you're doing everything right, are you sure you're bike has the original spring?

I'm measuring according to the video I bought off of TT. I bought the bike brand new, so I would assume it has the 'medium' spring. I'm going to get dressed in full gear and give it another try today.

Neu529 sounds like your suspension tuner doesn't know much. THe stock fork springs on the crf 250 are sprung for a 80 kg rider (175 pounds)

The shock spring how ever is for about 72 kg (160 pounds)

does the front feel too stiff?

I've got an '04 250X and I can't seem to get the suspension set up. I've never done it before, but I've been following the owner's manual instructions and the video from TT. Here's where I'm confused....

When I get the proper race sag set (100mm), the resulting sag with only the bike weight is 54mm. The book indicates that this second measurement should be 10 to 25mm. OK, OK, so I figured that the spring is too stiff for my weight, however, the manual says that the stock spring is appropriate for riders of 150lbs, plus or minus 10lbs. I'm 145 without helmet and boots. It seems like I should be right on with the stock spring. If I need to buy a softer spring, I will - I just don't want to buy it if there is something I'm doing wrong, or something different that I should do.

So what's up here? Has anybody run into the same scenario or have some insight?

Thanks!

Same thing here. My rear sag stock was 2.0" . Here's another thread talking about the same thing. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284326

I weigh 142, i got lighter springs + a revavle front and rear. It is so much better. Iam not sure if the suspension would the same for the x.

The X comes with lighter springs than the R.

Front spring X is .42, R is .45

Rear X is 4.8, R is 5.3