Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a different shock spring?

I've got an '04 CRF250X and I can't seem to get the suspension set up. I've never done it before, but I've been following the owner's manual instructions and the video from TT. Here's where I'm confused....

When I get the proper race sag set (100mm), the resulting sag with only the bike weight is 54mm. The book indicates that this second measurement should be 10 to 25mm. OK, OK, so I figured that the spring is too stiff for my weight, however, the manual says that the stock spring is appropriate for riders of 150lbs, plus or minus 10lbs. I'm 145 without helmet and boots. It seems like I should be right on with the stock spring. If I need to buy a softer spring, I will - I just don't want to buy it if there is something I'm doing wrong, or something different that I should do.

So what's up here? Has anybody run into the same scenario or have some insight?

I would not recommend a softer spring. A heavier spring with a light valve stack will work the best and give you a plush but firm ride.. On my honda, i thought it was to stiff. I left the rebound in the middle and soften the compression. As for the sag. i have bought softer springs to try and make my static sag correct to honda specs. It doesn't work. I have a 5.5 rear shock spring. Recommended is a 4.9. i tried it. the sag was still off and the suspension action was stiffer and harsher than with the heavier spring. I believe the heavier spring keeps you up in the top of the spring where it is coushy instead of lower where the spring is compressed to much already. Heavy spring with a light valve is the way to go. hope this gives you some ideas.