Sign in to follow this  

My new DRZ is stalling out!!

I just got a 05 DRZS and pulled all of the emisson stuff off :) . I pluged the exposed fitting on the bottom of the carb, and ran a line from the exposed fitting on the bottom of the tank down past the swingarm. It still seems to run out of gas(or something). When I am cruisin in fifth gear it will act like it is running out of gas. I usually adjust the gas petcock from ON to PRI to see if that helps, sometimes it does. Do I need to run the bike on PRI on the time now that the emission stuff is off?? Any other ideas of what i might have done wrong? :)

Ok a couple of things.

1) did you plug the vent on the gas tank when everything is removed? If so, don't.

2) check all your vaccume lines.

3) The emissions standard are so strict the DR-Z is set very lean, that may be the problem. Did you pull your snorkel?

Go to www.drz.info for info and several options to cure the lean problem. Also any other mods? What altatude are you at?

Burned and Bronco are the real experts.

Sounds like you have a vacume issue! The prime setting on the petcock is the vacume shut off bypass! Make sure you have vacume to the petcock! And i would not leave it on prime as you may end up with an engine and a airbox full of gas when you come out to ride it the next day!

Yes I have removed the snorkel and uncorked the pipe. I did not cap off the vent on the gas tank. Is there any way to richen the bike up. Is the when I want to pull the plug out of the carb and adjust the feul mix screw. If so, how far in or out should I turn it. I am at sea level.

To add to my last post, my cooling fans have yet to come on, and there have been no other indicators of the bike overheating. It is possible that it is though!!

The vent line that comes off from the bottom of the carb went to the charcoal cannister to prevent vapors from the carb. float bowl from venting to the atmosphere. Pluggin that securly is good.

The vent line from the tank should be vented to the outside air (sounds like you've done that). It used to go to the cannister but now needs the vent to prevent a vacuum from forming in the tank as the fuel level drops. To check if you've dont this properly, wait until your tank is down to about 1/3 full (to prevent you getting a lap full of fuel), remove the gas cap and ride the bike again. If you still have the same problem at least you know its not a problem with routing the hoses.

Is what your describing a surging or bucking feeling at higher speeds in top gear??

Slowly accelerate in top from 45 mph or so on up. At what speed does the problem start?

I'm suspecting that what your describing is a high speed lean surge that can get very severe as the lean condition worsens. It's just your engine saying "I need more fuel in here !!!!"

The stock DRZ S is already jetted very lean from the factory. Pulling the airbox snorkel and opening up the pipe end cap (although by itself, it doesn't have too big of an affect) has contributed to the lean conditioni already set at the factory.

I'd recommend reinstalling the snorkel and trying the bike again.

Other than that, your looking at probably a #25 pilot jet and a larger main jet. If your going to go that far you might just as well spring for the dynojet kit and do the 3X3 airbox mod.

Your "Ride like you're being chased by the man" signature gives a bit of a clue how your going to ride and the reason I think your geting a top end lean problem

What part of Cal. are you living in?

Hope this helps,

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, CA

I have been riding this bike like a pedal powered trike. I have not got on it at all. You are right in that the bike only stalls and spuders out in high gear when i can just cruisin. I will reinstall the snorkel and ride to see what happens! Should i look at adjusting the air fuel mixture??? I know that running the bike lean :) is really bad and i wnat to fix it now. I am riding in southern cali. I live in Encinitas. If you are close we should meet up for a good ride. I want to try the deer springs ride, and I have another ride mpaed out that is in Ramona.

I'm up in N. Cal in Davis...sounds like your around the San Diego area so getting together is not too easy.

I'd certainly consider putting the snorkel back in...it costs nothing and is easy. The bike will most likely run stronger with it in right not than with it removed.

You can remove the plug covering the idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. near where you plugged that tube that went to the canister. This will expose the idle mixture screw. Adjusting that will change things at idle and up to about 1/3 throttle but won't have any affect at high crusing speeds.

The only change you can make for that is the needle and main jet.

If the bike doesn't have any lean surge at low steady speeds (like 45/50 or so in top gear) you're mostly OK with the pilot/fuel screw settings.

I'm interpreting that your surge/stumble is happening at higher speeds like 65/70 and up when the needle/main jet has the most affect of fuel mixture.

So....for now...put the snorkel back in and see how it goes.

For the future....consider the dynojet needle and Burned's jetting recommendations (#25 pilot and 140 main) with the 3X3 airbox opening.

Let us know how things go.

Ray Stedronsky

Davis, CA

I have been riding this bike like a pedal powered trike. I have not got on it at all. You are right in that the bike only stalls and spuders out in high gear when i can just cruisin. I will reinstall the snorkel and ride to see what happens! Should i look at adjusting the air fuel mixture??? I know that running the bike lean :) is really bad and i wnat to fix it now. I am riding in southern cali. I live in Encinitas. If you are close we should meet up for a good ride. I want to try the deer springs ride, and I have another ride mpaed out that is in Ramona.

My best guess, and it is only that, is you are running lean. The air/fuel mix is fixed and a plug is insertrd where the pre set screw is. That will NOT fix your lean at high RPM. you PROBABLY need to rejet. Do this. Mark on your throttle open, close 1/2 1/4 and 3/4 position. when your bike starts acting up take note of where it is.

I highly recommend the 3x3 mod. It is very easy. If you are not intresed just rejet or do a dynojet kit. www.drz.info will give you lots of info on why your bike runs lean.

I reinstalled the snorkel and it has been running fine all day. I hit a little rain so I had to cut the ride short, but everything seems good so far. Thanks guys.

If anyone one in so cal wants to plan a ride in the near future, pm me or email me.

thanks again

Shawn

Glad it worked out.

Look into the Dynojet with the opened up (3X3) airbox mod. in the future. This lets in more air and has the correct jetting to compensate. The bike will run better all through the rev range with the mod.

Ray(the correct air/fuel ratio is like zen)Stedronsky

Davis, CA