Sign in to follow this  

Mxc 450 or Exc 450

Looking to replace my old and tired 520 exc which has been given new life with a new owner. I was the second owner and had both dirt and motard setup.I am now eager to get into a 05 either exc or mxc. I ride in the southeast mostly and want to have the option of dirt and motard setup again. I have not ridden any 05 yet and hope that some real imput from you out there who own these bike could help direct me. I loved my EXC but sometimes wished that I have a quicker handling bike in the tight stuff. So this time I am focusing on the 450.

Thanks for you input.

450 MXC would be a good combo, for the woods you probubly want to run 13x52 gearing although I hear from some that are very content with stock gearing. As an example on your EXC with 14x48 1st gear is a total ratio of 19.18 to 1, 2nd is 14.4 (25% jump is too big!)

An MXC with 13x52 would have 18.42 and 15.35, that 18.42 is workable and the 17% jump is premo

When you did Motard you would probubly put the stock sprockets back on, if I where doing it I would have one chain for each setup, Oring off road and a well lubed (but not drippy) non Oring for Motard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheLastByte
      Looking for something a little lighter and faster to supplement my xr650l and I think this bike might fit the bill. I'm hoping there are some owners here who can give me some insight into the typical experience with this bike. The question I'm most concerned about is how many hours these engines last before needing a rebuild with normal trail riding? Also, how do they handle in technical terrain? How about on the road? 

The machine I'm looking at has about 75 hours and 1,500 miles on it, all stock other than a lectron carb, and comes with some dualsport lighting not installed. The current owner's asking price seems pretty high at $4500, but he seems to be a communicative, eager seller, which is practically unheard of in Upstate NY where the vast majority of dirtbikes on Craigslist are owned (or "owned") by rednecks trying to flip them. I'm willing to pay a little more than market value for this reason.

Thanks for any input! 
    • By Chad Harlan
      Hi all,
      I got a set of the Axis passenger pegs to fit my 14' 500 exc. The bike does have the alloy sub-frame, but I'm curious if anyone has used this set up with success without destroying the sub-frame or their wife/gf? 

Short trips like errands and rides out to the coast for hiking. 10-15 miles on the longer rides, and likely 0 miles on the highway, as she is not super stoked about riding. But our job kinda doesn't allow multiple vehicles. Yachties. Also shopping a sumo set up at the moment too. 

Thanks folks!!
    • By Bryan Bosch
      Recently,I took a trip out to Colorado for some R&R on a family vacation. I brought my riding gear and had planned on renting a bike, but I was too late and at least what I looked at, there was no availability for my timeline. Bummer, since I'd not ridden the rockies in over 4 years, something pretty special when you live in flatlanderville (Florida)! 
      But, behind the scenes, a couple of TT'ers were at work! Through TT, we recently hired a fine, young gentleman to head up our advertising sales team,( @Freemotion ) and he pulled some strings with a local who had a well equipped  KTM 450XC-W that is his back-up machine. His new love is a 2019 KTM 300 TPI and it was gorgeous!
      So, a HUGE thanks to @Freemotion for greasing the skids in getting me a skoot and to @G 9.5 for generously lending out his bike to basically a stranger. The weather was great, so was the company, and the riding was epic as far as I'm concerned. I'm still a bit humbled by the generosity, so I wanted to share a story that I bet isn't as uncommon among the riding community as one might imagine.
      Dirt bike people rock! 🤘

• By JacksonDRZbeast
      Hello TT peeps. I currently have an 11' Ktm 450 exc which i am converting to sumo. Still on the fence about getting cush drive rims or standard rims. Not too much info on what cush drive does for wheelies. I know its smoother on the tranny and chain but will it make much of a difference with slower wheelies/stunting? I had a DRZ with standard rims and slower wheelies were very choppy and almost impossible to control smoothly. Any advice/tips/help will be much appreciated. 
      Also.... will 5" rims be pushing it for chain rub? Should i just stick with 4.25"?
    • By scott72
      Hi, I was wandering if anybody has recently bought or sold a 2014 or 2015 500 exc?  I'm trying to get an idea as to what they worth presently.  Thanks for any help.