Sign in to follow this  

Blue Groove, Powdery Dirt, and Baseball Sized Rocks?

I need help in improving my confidence for this terrain. EVERY time I ride in it, I fall, and it hurts....bad. I seem to have become better at using mostly rear brake, as the front end will wash out (WR426) regardless of clicker settings, as it bounces off the slippery rock.

The other problem is seeing what LOOKS like soft packed dirt, but it's actually wind-blown powdery dirt on top of blue groove, thus making it super-slick. Then, when I lean it over for a turn, whoops, it slides out and down I go.

Is there any way to build confidence on this terrain? I ride with people that use quads and they literally fly over this stuff.

Riding on an MX track is great, and I love it because the terrain is so predictable and grippy, (and it doesn't hurt as bad) but this stuff has got me down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Eric

I too had similar question, and the advice I got was, what condition is your tires, and are they for the terrain your on, and more riding time, I know these sound simple and probably not the answer your looking for, you probably want to hear something like "flap your left arm like a bird and you'll never have these problems again", the truth is no one knows how you ride unless they ride with you, so advice is going to be more like "practice, practice, practice....and make sure your bike is set up for where you ride", probably didn't help much, but this advice really did help me. Good luck.

... the answer your looking for, you probably want to hear something like "flap your left arm like a bird and you'll never have these problems again", the truth is ...

The truth is "flap your RIGHT arm". :)

Gary Semics training videos explain proper brake control use for those conditions. We have that same terrain here. I call it riding on marbles. Extremely slippery when dry.

You need to remain on the brakes in and through the turn; even when accelerating. Get Gary's videos, he explains the techniques very clearly. And it does work.

I wouldn't compare your speed with a quad on that kind of surface. You'll probably never keep up with an experienced quad rider on that kind of surface. It's almost everywhere else that 2 wheels prevail.

Slippery surfaces require very disciplined use of your senses and your riding skills to go fast. I agree: take advice of the pros for that kind of thing and make sure you perfect it before riding fast enough to hurt yourself.

Thanks for all the help, I have his videos, but haven't cracked em open this season yet :)

Thanks,

Eric