2 stoke v 4 stroke

I am 16 and want a bike for riding on a farm in Australia. So far I have been thinking of a used xr250. I want a bike that is reliable with little maintenence and have recently been told that 2 strokes are better for this. Do 2 strokes really require less maintenence than the xr250 would?? And are they more suited to riding on a farm?

Cheers, Nick

An XR250/400 would be perfect for what you need it for. They require little more than common sense maintenance (oils/filters/lube chain/check clearances once every so often/grease bearings etc), and they will go for ages. If I was 16, and living/working on a farm, that's what i'd ride. ? They are docile enough to putt around a farm all day, and have enough power (more so the 400 obviously.....) to enjoy yourself after hours.

An XR250/400 would be perfect for what you need it for. They require little more than common sense maintenance (oils/filters/lube chain/check clearances once every so often/grease bearings etc), and they will go for ages. If I was 16, and living/working on a farm, that's what i'd ride. ? They are docile enough to putt around a farm all day, and have enough power (more so the 400 obviously.....) to enjoy yourself after hours.

Same as he said ?

Race bikes: 2 stroke maintanence < 4 stroke maintainance

Play bikes: 4 stroke maintanence< 2 stroke maintainance

Xr would be considered a play bike.

Also, contrary to what you might expect, for the same rider, a more powerful bike (of the same class) will be less maintainance. For a given power, a larger displacement bike will be less stressed. If you are big enough to chuck an xr400 about, i think that would be perfect. If you want to take it on the road and are limited to 250 by australian law, then the xr250 is a good choice as well.

Just take your time and find a good one.

If your willing to pay about $150 a year and about three hours doing a rebuild (You have to have some mechanical sense) then get a KX250. The XR400 is a really good bike for an area where you get to a high speed and stay there for a while and not have to acclerate hard. Both of these bikes are bad for tight trails. The 400 is heavy and stalls easily unless you put a smaller front sprocket on and the KX can be hard to ride if you don't give it enough power or give it too much power. The reason I suggested the KX250 is because the hit is soft (for a 250), it's light, and it's very reliable. You will just have to do a rebuild about once a year or every other year. But the XR400 is a brute when compared to any other bike. You could never change the oil for a year, run regular unleaded gas, keep her outside and nothing will ever go wrong. I don't suggest the XR250 though. The power is weak, it's heavy, and it just doesn't feel right. Tell us what kind of land it is and what you want and we'll be able to help out more.

Get a Kawi KX100, two-strokes can be tempermental sometimes, but it weighs less, lower center of gravity, faster than both the XRs(in acceleration, not quite there on top end). the only maintenance is gear oil has to be changed every 4-6 rides, which is about on par with engine oil for a 4-stroke. I like the two strokes, cause whne you use them as trail bikes, and dont race them, they make real good trail bikes.

If you're like me and too stubborn to take other people's advice, go with whatever you think is better for you. For trail bikes, two strokes and four strokes are about the same with maintenance. With 4 strokes, its oil and cam chain timing. With two strokes its gear oil, and a new piston every few years. I just think a 2 stroke is more for the money, unless you go to a 125 or 250 race bike, then they jack up the prices.

From what you have just described, the XR250 is perfect for you, a good choice right away you made. Simple technology bullet proof, sure there are lighter,faster,prettier bikes around, but forwhat you want none of that matters, it is the best all rounder for a 16 yr old like your self ?

Another vote for the XR250. They will go for years with only modest maintenance, probably one of the most reliable bikes on the planet. Very comfy both in terms of seat and suspension for all day trail rides. There are a lot more competent bikes if you want to race, but for riding around the farm, the little xr is hard to beat.

if your putting around on the farm get the XR.

as far as maintainence goes, i am meticulous and find myself working on my bikes all during the week in preperation for the weekend. weather or not its a 2 or 4 stroke, i spend the same amount of time turning wrenches on them. but if you dont perform maintainence on your bikes and wait for a failure, you stand to loose much more with a 4 stroke than a 2.

the XR's engines are bullet proof as long as you change the oil and make sure the oil level is correct.