Potential move to San Luis Obispo please help

All you Californians please help me.. I currently live in Michigan and may be moving to San Luis Obispo for a job opportunity. I have been riding single track in Michigan (all that I know of) as well as Ohio and Indiana but I have never ridden in Cali.

Currently riding a GasGas FSE400 that is street legal in Michigan.. Anyone, know where to ride in San Luis or surrounding areas.. Also, I want to do a Baja ride sometime so any help there would be great.

I am an experienced rider and former MX racer but the years have not been kind (Dunlop across the waist) and I tend to ride conservatively now but I need some riding partners.

Are there any clubs out there etc..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ?

California is full of riding but not for long if the center for bio-diversity and sierra club have there way. There is Pismo dunes real close, pozo, and other small stuff. If you go south there is Ballinger, Gorman, Rower flats, and a lot of desert riding out by Mojave. I could list all day long once you get here you will have no problems finding some good riding. ?

I live about an hour soth of San Luis and have lived here for 39 years.

The closest riding areas would be

Pozo 20 min. north of SLO Great riding, lots of elev. change some single track

Pismo dunes, Dune riding on the beach some of the dunes are a couple

hundred feet. Nice sunsets and alot of fun to watch common

idiots get stuck on the big weekends

Ballinger canyon, 100mi east lots of single track elev. change great for a

day ride

Clear Creek , about 2 1/2 hours north of SLO, I have not been there but

what I here is it is endless riding and generally dirtbike

heaven

San Luis is expensive to live But if you look north 30 min. to the Paso Robles area or south to the Santa Maria area the housing is much more affordable, relative speaking of course. The weather is pretty mild year round With summers in Paso in the high 80s and 90s and a few days at 110 Santa maria summer temps are mid 70s to mid 80s and windy.

Hope thats not to much info!!! There is several of us TT on the central coast, maybe some of the other guys can offer some web links.

Clear Creek is dirtbike heaven, 900,000 acres of it. They have a national enduro there today the Quicksilver. I drive 4 hours just to ride there a few times a year and you will be only 2.5 hours away if that, probably only 2 hours

I went to college at Cal Poly in SLO. You're moving to the central coast, that is like moving to HEAVEN itself. The angels are jealous. SLO is about an hour drive south of BIG SUR does that tell you how freaking beautiful it is there?

YOU ARE SO LUCKY.... Real jobs are hard to find in SLO..we would all move there if we could.

when do you arrive?

i moved out from Michigan a long time ago...still go back to see family.

DUDE--take that job!

the Obispo area is HEAVEN. its the best part of California. Grab that job and dont look back.

Just rode all day in the desert single track...while you shoveled snow or just dealt with the rain and gloom. wildflowers are blooming here, and spring is starting...in Michigan its 2-3 months more gloom.

TAKE THE JOB!

These guys pretty much covered the riding areas. Clear Creek is a good 2.5 hours for the average driver. 2 hours if you're a maniac. But thats still not that far of a drive, its nothing for a weekend trip.

There are a couple clubs around, one being the Central Coast Motorcycle Association and other being the Cal Poly Penguins (of which I'm a member). I'd hazard to guess the CCMA would be more your style as the Penguins are all college guys. The Penguins do put on a pretty good dual sport ride every year though (I swear I'm not biased ? ).

I'm going to be living here at least another year and I wouldnt mind sticking around permanently if I could find work up here.

All you Californians please help me.. I currently live in Michigan and may be moving to San Luis Obispo for a job opportunity. I have been riding single track in Michigan (all that I know of) as well as Ohio and Indiana but I have never ridden in Cali.

Currently riding a GasGas FSE400 that is street legal in Michigan.. Anyone, know where to ride in San Luis or surrounding areas.. Also, I want to do a Baja ride sometime so any help there would be great.

I am an experienced rider and former MX racer but the years have not been kind (Dunlop across the waist) and I tend to ride conservatively now but I need some riding partners.

Are there any clubs out there etc..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ?

Dont just leave us hangin.... I feel used ??:D When you comming out?

i live 15 mins west of SLO in Los Osos. I'll take you out riding. plenty of riding in this area and TONS of riding within 4-5 hours of driving. We even have a new gas gas dealer in morro bay just waiting for your business. one difference here is that we have mountains! it is not hard to find yourself riding from sea level to 5000 feet and back in a couple of hours. drive to the sierra nevadas and you can ride up close to 10,000 ft! ?

It is rediculously expensive to live here, I hope your opportunity here pays very well. ? or live in a shack like the rest of us ?

San Luis Obispo is a beautiful city. The entire county is an exceptional place to live, ...but not the greatest for the die-hard single-track woods cravin' dirt biker.

I'll give you the straight scoop. I grew up in SLO County. I grew up riding at Pozo. I grew up riding at the now long gone Kaiser sand pit in Atascadero. I've spent many gallons of fuel blasting the Pismo sand. And I've driven many hours destine for true single-track when I lived in SLO.

Pozo does not have any real single track trails. At most there might be four miles total of what one would consider single-track. It's all high speed whooped out two-track. The positive note is that the CCMA is making great efforts to bring new single-track trails to Pozo. The CCMA is the county's M/C club.

Pismo is all sand riding. Fun stuff, but torture on a motorcycle.

Ballinger Canyon has some single-track, but much like Pozo it's a whooped-out land of two-track. This was and still is the last place I'd last visit to ride. I'm a single-track lover and have always found it hard to find fun at Ballinger.

The closest place to SLO County for single-track is Clear Creek. When I lived in SLO it would take me two hours to get there, and yeah, I drive like I'm racing. I always have as much fun getting there as I do riding.

Clear Creek isn't going to be like anything in Michigan. There is plenty of single-track at CC, but it's all through manzanita and not trees. Lots of rocks and technical stuff. CC is fun, but is my least favorite on the District 36 Enduro schedule. I simply prefer the trees.

San Luis Obispo is a great place to live, but not the best for the die hard woods rider. When I lived in SLO I longed for the woods. I've always desired to ride in the woods, so I moved from SLO to the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. If I received a job offer today to move back to SLO I'd reject it, because I love where I'm at now.

• 2 months later...

When you're ready for some California trails west of SLO check out Randsburg, Jawbone, Spangler Hills, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Cuddeback Lake, California City, Owen's Valley, Eureka Valley, Deep Springs, Mammoth Lakes, Kennedy Meadows, Monache Meadows, Quaking Aspen, Dove Springs, Kelso Valley....I could go on....Eastern Sierra foothills..... I'm 48 .... an old MX'r but now a dual sporter with a slew of fieinds with the passion. Look me up when you're ready.

When you're ready for some California trails west of SLO check out Randsburg, Jawbone, Spangler Hills, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Cuddeback Lake, California City, Owen's Valley, Eureka Valley, Deep Springs, Mammoth Lakes, Kennedy Meadows, Monache Meadows, Quaking Aspen, Dove Springs, Kelso Valley....I could go on....Eastern Sierra foothills..... I'm 48 .... an old MX'r but now a dual sporter with a slew of fieinds with the passion. Look me up when you're ready.

Someday I'll ride those places, Soon as I'm done raising this family and making a living :naughty::naughty:

About the only thing west of SLO is Los Osos. And all the riding there was outlawed years ago. :naughty: