Sign in to follow this  

3X3 Mod - Not So Bad

Since we're into the last leg of the Canadian winter :) - at least in south-western Ontario - I figured it would be a good time to get my "big winter project" underway.

I had wrestled the carb from the bike back in November and it had been sitting in my workshop ever since. I ordered the DJ kit, jets (140 & 25) along with the extended fuel screw from Keintech (great service). Not knowing anything about "carb theory" and the difference between a main jet and a pilot jet, I read just about every TT post on the DJ 3x3 mod so I was aware of all of the common pitfalls. Despite this, I was more than a little apprehensive about pulling out the delicate carb parts with my fat and clumsy fingers!! :)

I started with the carb slide and followed the directions to the letter. I found these to be really comprehensive. The only gaps were that it didn't explain that you just pulled/twisted the plug out to gain access to the needle and it does not reference the need to add the top washer and spring above the clip before re-installing the plug. When I re-installed the needle I found that it lent to one side a little. I tried to straighten it which made it better but not perfect. Since the needle goes into a hole at the bottom I figured it would be held straight and didn't worry about it. The reinstall went perfectly and the little O-ring never even moved.

After drilling out the float bowl screws (tip for Canadians - Canadian Tire has perfect hex-head replacements), I changed the pilot and main jets without incident. I covered the carb with paper towel and drilled-out the fuel screw plug. It was a cinch to snap in the new extended screw and set to 2.5 turns out.

With the carb back together, I decided to bring the bike into the house to warm it up before trying to reinstall the carb. I spent about 10 minutes just looking for the easiest way to re-install. After trying a bunch of different approaches, I went in from the brake-pedal side. The trick for me was to remove the metal clamps from each of the boots and then get the engine side in place first. After the front was in, I was able to lever-back the air box and get the air box boot over using a flat-head screw driver.

After cutting out the air-box with my dremmel, I took the bike back to the garage and replace the fuel tank and battery. Since the bike had not been used since Nov 2004, I figured it would take some cranking to get going. NOT SO - I put the choke on and it fired-up instantly so I turned the choke off after about 5 seconds and it purred like a kitten. I couldn't ride it because the bolts were all loose but I cranked the gas to full a bunch of times and there was no hesitation whatsoever. I can't wait to try it on the road in a couple of weeks (fingers-crossed).

Bottom line on this project is that while I'm sure there are a bunch of things that could go wrong, the instructions are and info on TT is so good that there's no reason that you should run into problems. Thanks to everyone who has asked a question on this mod and a big thanks to those who have provided answers and instructions. :p

Thanks for the description of how you reinstalled the carb. :) It just might be mild enough in Niagara today, that I can work in my unheated garage and reinstall my carb. :) Guess I should try to warm those air box and intake boots up a little bit with the flood lights first. That should make them a little more flexible. Lube everything up with a little WD should help as well.

You can use a hair blow dryer to warm up the airbox nicely. It makes a big difference when re-installing. Good Luck!

I'll be doing this same mod this week, (if my parts come in on Tue.)

Good tip about warming the boots up.

I don't know how you got the carb off from the brake side, but what ever works. :)

I can normally get my carb off in about 5 mins from the left side no problem.

I can't wait for spring here too, it's just 9 weeks away :)