Sign in to follow this  

04vs05

I should try both and make the call. The '05 feels significantly different (read wider) to sit on.

Saying that there seem to be mothing but praise for them on TT.

Yes! The 05's are very improved over the 04's. I passed up a 5K USD new 04 TE450 for new 05 at full retail after hearing stories from a friend who races them in Denmark. Improvements to the engine, esp the switch to the K carb is reason enough.

Personally I cant stand the old body work and the huge red "100" on the rear. :)

I rode an 04 TE-450. that ride was great and the final over the top piece of the puzzle which convinced me to buy my Husky. On my 3rd ride , i ran into that 04 TE-450 owner and as he motored up to me I noticed by the sound of his bike .......ahhhhhh thats our husky!.

the 04 TE-450 was voted enduro bike of the year by some mag. it is a very good machine. the 05 has these main advantages in my eyes:

05 larger tank 2.4 gals not 2.03 gals for 04 ( but IMS has a nice large aftermarket tank 3.0 gals for the 04 TE)

05 - 6 gears

The 05 kehein FCR carb is well known, but the 04 bike runs fantastic in my experience.. it is still the same bike, same suspension, same motor same pipe...

look at huskys web site they really spell out the improvements for 05

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

but that web site is in the business of selling this years model. there are improvements, but also know that I rode an 04 TE-450 and loved it too. I know the owner and he loves that bike. You will too, if you go that way.

regarding price - all bikes take a big hit of depreciation. or my $02 I would say if a quality used 04 is $2000.00 less then new, go for it, but if you are looking to buy a leftover 04 and the OTD price is only say only $5-700 less then a new 05......hmmmm now I'm thinking I want the 05. if the new leftover 04 OTD is $800 or more LESS then the 05....ouch that's my tipping point.......It would be hard call for me........$800 buys that IMS tank and lots of rooster performance protection and some other mods..not that the huskys need mods in my view they are so great as stock..but that 2.03 gal tank on the 04 would have to go.

The '04 TE's all had a 6 speed tranny. The TC's did not and I assume it is the same for 2005. If you could save $1,000 on an '04, I would take that deal. Maybe not on a 250 since the higher revving engine might be more likely to need the upgraded valves. The 450 and 510 should be fine. I didn't like the red graphics at first but by the time I took the bike home, I bought a complete set of plastic so I could keep the factory stuff fresh. I love my TE250 and when it warms up a bit, I can't wait to ride again.

Greg