Sign in to follow this  

Riders in Prescott, AZ area?

Hello ! I am considering relocating to AZ and wondering what the off road trail riding seen is like there. I also have a '03 CRF450R that I may sell and get a 250X, which bike would be better and will I have to rejet as Prescott is 5550 ft.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

There are a couple of places to ride around Prescott, but the best riding is just a little north of Phoenix. if you will be working in Prescott, try moving to the smaller towns east of Prescott and then you can drive to the better riding areas down by Phoenix.

Might wanna PM sirhk as he lives in Precott AND rides a CRF450R :):)

I just moved to Prescott Valley about 7 weeks ago from San Diego. Having grown up in San Diego so far I don't miss it or regret it one bit. I've been lagging on the riding around here but did manage to get out on 1 ride so far with some locals. All I can say is they took me through the best single track other then one that I know of in Baja that I've ever been on in almost 20 years of riding. According to them that was just the tip of the iceberg. I'm hoping after this weekend to start riding around here locally so I should have more imput soon...

There's a couple racing series around here for enduros and scrambles. Tracks can be found in Phoenix and I think there's one in Verde Valley where ever that is... LOL, I don't think it's too far away.

Move out and get in touch with me, so far I only have on connection for riding and can always use more!!!

chaeck out...

http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/default.asp

http://www.arizonatrailtalk.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl

Khris...

What's up Josh, didn't know you were lurking around here...

Yah man, I gotta get into bikes more for sure. I'm lookin into a new one to replace my beater. I figure save a little right now and then come summertime, sell my bike and put a phat down on a new one. This place sure has a lotta info, but I hate this site too...cuz everytime I get on it it makes me wanna get a new bike :):)

sirhk,

Thanks for the input. I visited there 2 weeks ago when you guys had that rain from Baja. My friends live on Evening Shade in Prescott. I am a Chiropractor and want to relocate. I love to trail ride and raced hare scrambles up until 2 years ago, now I guess I am an aggressive trail rider and I like to play on MX tracks now and then too. Would my CRF450R be right at home on the trails out there or would a 250X be the ticket. Hope to hear from you.

Tom

I'm on an '03 CRF 450 setup for Desert and the one trail I did ride it was just fine. The guys I was with were on an '05 Husaberg TE450, DRZ4XX, and a 2 stroke... I can't remember what it was though. You're bike would be fine, especially if it's built a little trail wise and not so much track. I'm heading to the dunes this weekend and then riding trails again next weekend so I'll report on what I ride next weekend...

Khris

Khris,

Thanks for the reply, rode NEMX, an indoor MX complex in Ohio Thursday. My MX skills are improving, but I am mainly a Harescrambles and woods riding kind of guy. I bet in the open desert-type areas the 450 would be superior over the 250X and in the tight the X may be better. Out here it is mostly tight woods, I guess what you would call single track. I just recieved my Arizona application for licensure, will probably get out to Prescott again in June. Hope to stay in touch. Is rejetting a big deal as Prescott is 5500 ft?

Tom

YES, you will have to rejet at any altitude over 2,000 ft. You will be near 1 mile over sea level.

Cher'o,

Dwight

You know, I'm jetted for low elevation and when I run it down the street it pops and sputters. I've got the kit to jet it but so far I've been riding at the bottom of the mtn where the elevation is fine for where I came from. I'm sure during the summer as I'm driven up in elevation to ride due to weather temps I'll be rejetting. I just did a weekend in the dunes, GREAT TIME!!!! Hey, moving out here from elsewhere will probably open a whole new terrain!!! Glamis is a 3.5-4 hour drive, you can get your feet wet in the dunes!!!! I'm mounting the knobbie back on tonight and gotta figure out how to dig out the valve stem for the front tire, I was running low pressure and it got sucked in...

Khris