Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport in Arizona

I want to Dual sport my Yz450. I'm not even going to try in CA, but we have an address in AZ. So I figured I would use that. I'm going to purchase a kit. IS it hard to get done there? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

Az requirements:

Headlight

Brake light

Tail light

Horn

Mirror

No signals or Hi-low beam

No requierment for lights to work when engine is off.

Good luck

Corky :):)

Yes.

But the first yr seems excempt. I got my plate ready to go for the 1st yr, next yr I will need a smog test. I have no idea if it will pass....

My bike never needed emissions testing, I live outside of the urban counties though.

hmmmmm that's weird, I wonder why I need to do mine next yr then?

i just moved in from Texas....is there anything i need to do or can i run my TX plate on the bike till it expires? same for inspection, etc?

I'm probably gonna do some on-road riding this weekend and if i can find any dirt roads that lead to interesting places......

AZ has a requirement for a DOT legal lighting, tires and the such. The catch is there is no inspection so it is up to you to do it right. You need insurance and if you are in the emission zone ( either live or work) you need an emissions test but thats it.

Would anyone be familiar of a map or county listing of these emissions zones?

Would anyone be familiar of a map or county listing of these emissions zones?
+1 i'm curious myself.

It is basically Phoenix (and all the cities around it) and Tucson. I am not sure if servisearizona.com AZ DOT web site has any info on emission requirements.

Phoenix and tucson areas have inspections for emmisions. the other towns and counties have no inspection. if you bring from out of state u need to have it inspected but they only look to see the serial# and make sure it isnt stolen. Other people have listed the requirements but it is up to you to tell them it is street legal. you could buy a yz250 and go register it if you tell them its legal they will never know the difference. Just depends how much your gonna ride on roads and how many tickets you want to risk.

In Payson, AZ I was told my 2004 Kawasaki Super Sherpa papers were all in order. I imported the bike myself, from Calgary, Alberta. DMV said I only needed an inspection.

I didn't have the DOT tires on the bike.

This was the only change I had made at that time ..so I didn't have the inspection.

Now, we are at 2005.

Now I have the OEM DOT tires back on the bike.

I did add hand brushguards and I am adding the IMS footpegs. This does tend to make the bike look a little modified, maybe.

But the muffler and all the legal stuff is in place.

However, I am going to take the bike over to a motorcycle dynotune shop to "dial-in" the cold starts at 5,200 to 5,640 where I live and ride.

Should I get it licensed and insured, before I proceed further? Will I get nicked the next year?