Dual Sport in Arizona

AZ has a requirement for a DOT legal lighting, tires and the such. The catch is there is no inspection so it is up to you to do it right. You need insurance and if you are in the emission zone ( either live or work) you need an emissions test but thats it.

Phoenix and tucson areas have inspections for emmisions. the other towns and counties have no inspection. if you bring from out of state u need to have it inspected but they only look to see the serial# and make sure it isnt stolen. Other people have listed the requirements but it is up to you to tell them it is street legal. you could buy a yz250 and go register it if you tell them its legal they will never know the difference. Just depends how much your gonna ride on roads and how many tickets you want to risk.

In Payson, AZ I was told my 2004 Kawasaki Super Sherpa papers were all in order. I imported the bike myself, from Calgary, Alberta. DMV said I only needed an inspection.

I didn't have the DOT tires on the bike.

This was the only change I had made at that time ..so I didn't have the inspection.

Now, we are at 2005.

Now I have the OEM DOT tires back on the bike.

I did add hand brushguards and I am adding the IMS footpegs. This does tend to make the bike look a little modified, maybe.

But the muffler and all the legal stuff is in place.

However, I am going to take the bike over to a motorcycle dynotune shop to "dial-in" the cold starts at 5,200 to 5,640 where I live and ride.

Should I get it licensed and insured, before I proceed further? Will I get nicked the next year?

• 3 weeks later...