Sign in to follow this  

Susp revalve, worth it?

Hey guys, I've been ridding for a little over a year now (6 monthes on my Yz250f) and im wondering if the racetech kit would be worth the cost. I plan on getting it through the TT store. I have heard that the best you know is the best you have ridden, and with that said I am ridding a bike that was setup for someone quite a bit lighter than me. So will the change be significant enough to offset the cost. I have always heard that this is the best upgrade you can do for a bike. If you have had a susp revalve etc, do you think it was worth it? do you ever regret spending all the money on it?. Thank you for your time.

I would get the correct springs and go from there.

I can change my own suspension oil, if you can't I would say to send out your suspension and have it done. Yamahas have pretty good suspension stock.

I have had good luck with Factory Connection. Be careful which shim shuffler you send it to. Many promise you the world.

Where can I find info on the correct springs for me, as well as the correct oil/ oil height. I have never done anything to the suspension before, but im sure I could get through it. Also im not sure exactly how to work the clickers to adjust the suspension correctly (im not even sure where they are lol). Thanks for the help, im gonna do a search in the suspension forum and see what I get.

I'm getting the Racetech gold valves done right now, but I'm on a different bike (XR400 - notoriously bad stock front end in particular). I read, repeatedly, that it's the best mod people have ever done on that bike.

Thanks guys, still considering both options. Have to talk it over with my dad, because if we did it ourselves he would definately be involved... hopefully I can find a day that he is free enough to help me (we have to many project going on at out house, including the complete building of a big garage workshop by me and him)

Don't do it yourself with outdated technology (race tech valves).

Send it to a good local suspension shop and just have it revalved for your skill and weight. A good tuner will have tested many setups and know what works well.

In Texas there is JM Racing in Houston www.jmracingsuspension.com who does a great job with the Yammie KYB stuff. Send a PM to therapture as well for his suspension tuner which I think is in the San Antonio area.

Thanks, that JM racing looks like it might be what I want because I can get the fork and shock revalved and have a little bit of leftover money for the springs (I would get the right springs before taking it to them)

So, JM has a good reputation?

You should really get the correct springs. The Yamaha suspension is good, so don't waste money on the gold valves. You should have the forks and shock serviced at least once a year. Just to change oil, check for wear, seals, etc.

Any place that's decent will change the springs out, at no cost, with the suspension service.

Get the revalve once you have reached the limitation of the stock valve stacks.

Thanks, that JM racing looks like it might be what I want because I can get the fork and shock revalved and have a little bit of leftover money for the springs (I would get the right springs before taking it to them)

So, JM has a good reputation?

Getting the suspension set up for your weight, riding skills, and terrain is one of the best things you can do for the bike.

In your case, I would recommend that you get the correct springs for your weight. Then, start changing the clicker adjustments. You may be surprised at just how much you can affect the handling of the bike by small changes in the clickers. Even if you have a SUSPENSION SHOP rework your bike, you should still learn what the clickers do and experiment with them. You may ride a variety of terrain and will be able to adjust the suspension to work.

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know of a place where I can find all the info I need to know about adjusting the shim stacks and clickers? Also do I just use any 5wt oil, or are there specific oils for this purpose?

I would get the correct springs and go from there.

I can change my own suspension oil, if you can't I would say to send out your suspension and have it done. Yamahas have pretty good suspension stock.

I have had good luck with Factory Connection. Be careful which shim shuffler you send it to. Many promise you the world.

BULL CRAP!

They can't touch Honda's showa suspension! :)

Leave it to the honda guy to day his bike is better..... I dont get it..... I'm not flamin ya or anything, but like my friend rides hondas and he basically tells me that my bike is a POS compared to his crf230 (haha). then he claims he lost the race due to a lack of power in the straights but he caught me everywhere else..... to bad we switched bikes and i beat him again... then he complained that yamahas handle like crap... so i raced him on my ttr125.... and beat him again.... that was fun... ahhh i have nothing against honda, they are nice bikes, almost bought one :)

Any place that's decent will change the springs out, at no cost, with the suspension service.

Name one suspension shop that will give you free springs and I am there!

All of the major suspension shops(Race Tech,

Pro-circuit, Factory Connection, RG-3) charge for heavier or lighter duty springs than stock. They also charge for any damaged parts they replaced.

To answer the orginal poster, definately get your bike sprung correctly for your weight first, otherwise you are wasting money. Set your sag correctly. Spend time getting the dampening settings figured out.

The new bikes stock suspensions are very, very good compared with just a couple of years ago. Suspension companies are admittedly having to get extremely creative to improve the stock suspensions. The stock valving is very very good on all the Japanese brands. If you can get the bike sprung correctly you will notice a huge difference, esp if you are over the ideal 180 lb. body weight. Changing to gold valves or the like, is a way more subtle change.

I used Race Tech last season, expensive and worth it. I have used a local tuner in the past when I lived in North Florida (heavier springs and oil changes). I will most likely use another company (other than race tech) in the future, simply because I would like to get a feel for a different companies tuning. My Race Tech suspended YZ250 was fantastic last season. A Pro borrowed it for one race and came back flabbergasted. He improved his position by 4 places against his normal competition.

Even though Yamaha's have really good suspension stock, I'm having mine revalved (front and rear) by Enzo Racing that way I can set it up to my liking and my weight, etc. Getting a suspension upgrade is one of the best mods you can do to your bike. You can go faster when you have more confidence, and better suspension makes you more confident.

Doug

Well thank you so much for the input guys. I think that due to the fact that I dont have a massive budget (I could afford the revalve, but that would seriously cut back on other things. Im only 16 and parents wont let me get a job because they want all my focus on school) I'm just going to respring it and try to tune it from there. I figure doing that it will be much more of a learning experience, and since im more of a causal ridder (I ride MX all the time but dont even consider racing except for the next GB memorial race).

From my experience, re-valved suspension is your most important riding and safety modification. With the addition of a steering stabilizer, you can hit the whoops at 80MPH, in a long sweeping turn and not ever feel the slightest bit out of control. The back of the bike will stay behind you regardless of whether or not you are on or off the gas.

I said "change" the springs with the service, as in "remove and install".

Pronunciation: 'chAnj

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): changed; chang·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French changier, from Latin cambiare to exchange, probably of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish camm crooked

transitive senses

2 a : to replace with another <let's change the subject> b : to make a shift from one to another : SWITCH <always changes sides in an argument> c : to exchange for an equivalent sum or comparable item d : to undergo a modification of <foliage changing color> e : to put fresh clothes or covering on <change a bed>

I didn't say "give you springs free of charge".

Name one suspension shop that will give you free springs and I am there!