Sign in to follow this  

Any suggestions to make a "Q" even quieter?

I've got a Q, and it's retrofitted with the quiet tip, but it's still too loud for my liking. I like my stock pipe with the Vortip better, but I like the weight of the Q. Has anyone figured out any tweaks to get this thing even quieter?

By the way, I've got a Dubach header on it, an I think that may make it louder than with a stock header, but it helps the power, so I don't want to give it up.

Thanks,

Toby

A 90 degree downturn tip on the end of the pipe perhaps??? I've seen a lot of "quiet" mufflers with that feature over the years. Although from looking at one it might have to be removable to allow repacking.

tirebiter,

How much did the down tube decrease noise? Did you do any before/after tests with a sound meter?

I had the tip like that on mine when it came out of the box. I later bought the 1.5 turn down tip for the "Q". it did lower the sound level from the first tip. I was also told by a factory rep that the "Q" did not meet the advertised 96db on some bikes. What he could not tell me was which ones. By the way he said it, he made it sound like the XR650L I have was one of them. Try an over pack. If you pack it better it will be quieter.

RH