Sign in to follow this  

Bar risers = arm pump??

Question: Do higher bars yield more arm pump?

I recently installed BigDR bar risers. I rode hard in the whoops yesterday and noticed significant arm pump and, for the first time ever, forearm cramping. This was my first real ride with the risers. I am wondering if anyone else noticed this. Also, I should note that we were riding in below freezing temperature, which might have had something to do with it.

Please don't think I am complaining about the bar risers. They fit perfectly and standing is much more comfortable now. I'm just curious about the arm pump and cramping because it never happened before. Thanks guys! :)

I find I suffer less arm pump with the risers. Without them I always felt I was "hanging on" rather than being balanced on the bike, especially when accelerating and climbing hills.

Iain

I agree. I think the higher riding position is less tiring.

I agree. I think the higher riding position is less tiring.

Agreed...I use the risers as well and feel far less arm pump with them...But the thing that really got rid of any arm pump on my DRZ was the WER Damper...That's like have power steering for your bike :)

I haven't noticed any problems. I like the fact that I don't feel like I am going to fall off the back when going up steep hills now. :)

rode hard in the whoops

Riding harder through the whoops than normal...riding outside our normal comfort zone, it's a common reaction to grip the bars tighter. It's also an ingrained instinct to hold your breath and tense up just before a "stressful" situation.

Gripping the bars too tight will cause arm pump. Tensing up will aggrevate it. Holding your breath would make you much more likely to experience muscle cramps, too.

I'm not sayin this is what is happening with you. I do know when I experience arm pump, it's from gripping the bars too tight, which is generaly caused by riding out of my comfort zone.

I was woundering the samething. I was riding today for the first time after installing my new pro taper handlebars (1' 1/8), I think the bar mounts raised the hight by about a 1/2 inch. And I was having to take breaks all the time from arm pump. But I also just did the 3x3 mod, dyno install, 140 main, 25 pilot, 14/47 gearing and the newly add TERA FLEX. I thought the arm pump was just from hanging on for dear life...

What works for 10 people might not work for you. Bar risers or not made for everybody.

don't mean to hi-jack this thread but could anyone provide torque value for riser bolts?

16.5 lb-ft