Sign in to follow this  

Giving a YZ KDX like roll on?

Hey,

I finally got to ride the YZ250 back to back with the KDX220. The 220 has a gnarly pipe and turbinecore2, the YZ has a procircuit (no idea which one) and turbinecore2.

The KDX is way easier to ride slowly, because the power comes on instantly. The YZ feels like its dying, and really wants you to hit the powerband all the time. This isnt possible in many places.

Is it possible to make the YZ feel like the KDX (albeit with a lot more on top) with something as simple as a fatty/shorty combo? Is the shorty too loud?

I know the YZ is a race bike, blah blah. The one we have IS going to be used as a race bike mainly. I'm considering one for myself, but wont give up the low end of my XR426 for absolutely low end. If I could make it have at least as much roll on power as the KDX, I'd seriously consider trading.

A KTM is out of the question right now. Too expensive, and no dealerships for them around here.

Gonna go ride my XR now :)

ever thought of flywheel weights?

I second that, I flywheeled my 01yz and it was a tractor (sorta)

it increases the rolling mass of the motor therefor producing more torque and less "snappy" of a powerband... :)

To really get the YZ to behave like the KDX, you'd need to change pretty much everything. Smaller carb, milder porting, different pipe, heavier flywheel.

I'd suggest trying a heavy flywheel weight, then having it ported for milder delivery in conjunction with a different pipe, then lastly move to a smaller carb. The FFW is easily changed, making it the logical first step. Do you have the stock pipe, maybe the PC one is a top-end type pipe, whereas you need a torque pipe.

Since the YZ's motor hasn't changed much in several years, maybe you could pick up a well-used cylinder and have it set up for trail riding.

No KTM dealers? Where are you at?