Sign in to follow this  

Is a hydraulic clutch really worth it?

Those of you that have spent the $$$ for the hydraulic clutch levers: Was it money well spent? What brand is the best for the money? I was looking at this set up but I dont know if I feel like dropping the $$ on it:click here

Thanks for your input!!

If your gonna get one hold out for the new model. It has a new slave cylinder design, a woven stronger hydraulic line, and a new machined mount for the slave cylinder.

I am flirting with getting one but I keep my cable and lever lubed and it works well. The KTM clutches are far superior to the cable designed though.

I've got one. The cool factor is great but as far as reducing the lever pull I would save my money and spend my time lengthening the clutch arm and moving the pivit point on the clutch lever. Where the clutch cable attaches to the clutch lever get a drill and drill a hole closer to the handle bar then make a path for the cable. I did it and that is the ticket for a easy clutch pull at n/c.

If you are in the novice class you may want to consider how much you fall. If you fall alot or get tangled up with people alot then stick with the cable it will function after a hard crash but a hydraulic clutch can get air in the line and if you crash hard and you may not be able to use it for the rest or your moto.

I have one on my 05. My advice is spend your money on something else. Apart for the coolfactor, I didn't feel any difference in clutch pull.

I have one on my 05. My advice is spend your money on something else. Apart for the coolfactor, I didn't feel any difference in clutch pull.

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll put the money in something else like an 03 cam.

Thanks for the advise. I think I'll put the money in something else like an 03 cam.

The 03 cam would be a much better choice. :) :) :p

I have a Magura on my bike, had it on for 2+ years with zero problems. It does work a little better than stock but your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Would I buy another,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes! But, other items would take priority.

As for me (I tend to fall down) I like the mechanical clutch, but i have ridden with the magura on a stroked 426, and feel there is no advantage to the 200$ clutch mod. ASV mechanical lever/perch is still expensive for a mechanical, but it is by no means as expensive as replacing a magura hydraulic clutch after a failure to keep the rubber side down.

As for me (I tend to fall down) I like the mechanical clutch, but i have ridden with the magura on a stroked 426, and feel there is no advantage to the 200$ clutch mod. ASV mechanical lever/perch is still expensive for a mechanical, but it is by no means as expensive as replacing a magura hydraulic clutch after a failure to keep the rubber side down.

That's another thing I'm worried about. I fall a lot (I push my limits more often than I should) and I don't want to be out $200 if I break that thing. A $10-$15 lever is a lot easier to swallow and easier to fix if I need to fix it on the trail.