Sign in to follow this  

Stock 03, What to do FIRST?....

First of all this forum is GREAT! ... I have learned quite a bit about my recently purchased 2003 DRZ400S. What I seek today is information/Advice on what modifications to put on this wonderful machine. What do you suggest I do as priority? This bike seems to be a bit "polite" from the factory, although I hear it has great potential with "minor" modification. I bought this 03-DRZ400S a few days ago. It had 700 miles on it & is bone stock, except for some tires & hand protectors. I am loving this bike up here in NW Washington State/Oregon, but I want to increase this bikes capability. What should I purchase? Where should I buy the stuff? & What exactly will it do to enhance this already good Dual Sport? All advice/direction is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, - Bill

1st is CFC casesavers and a real good skidplate from Baja Designs (or other manufacturers). 2nd though less important on the 03 is a MCCT from Machinist.

After that you can start the performance mods with the DJ jet kit, 3x3 mod, and Yosh stainless full exhaust. A set of Hot Cams would then be next.

As for handling, you've already swapped out the stock deathwings, so that is a start. You might have to experiment with different sets of tires until you find one you like. My next mod is going to be a WER steering damper which I hope will keep the front end stable in the sand. Oh, the other thing you might want to try for handling is a different sent of handlebars and Big DR bar risers if you are tall.

CFC case savers from the TT store. One drop on the left side and the

shifter will punch a hole in the magnesium case. For now I would

file it down and make it less of a knife edge. Skid plate is a good idea also.

The the Unabiker radiator guards. www.unabiker.com, best made IMO.

Don't forget protection for yourself, that was the first stuff I bought. :)

The 3x3 and dynojet mod are a great way to get better throttle response

and more power. Really wakes the bike up. I'm more of a protection

before performance guy, maybe I'm getting old. But after you get all

the protection for you & the bike let it rip. These bikes can take a beating.

Welcome to the forum... :)

What is a CFC Casesaver?

From the drz.info link posted earlier. Left & right side case covers.

The shift lever will punch a hole right through the case without it in a fall.

clutchside_angle_640x480.jpg

ignitionside_angle_640x480.jpg

i would swap the tires, put a skid plate, case savers, and radiator guards on it, and ride it for the summer. It runs pretty good from the factory, and you'll see where youre improvements need to be, for you. Enjoy it this spring, wrench on it in the fall.

Great idea!

Should I not do the inexpensive Dyna Jet Kit? I hear it is a no brainer for more power. My bike seems like it needs to breath! -Thx

-=Bill

First thing you need to do kiss your credit card goodbye :)

See thread above - "How much do you have in your DRZ" :)

Thanks! That is a great intro. What would you do as #1 priority? -Bill

get your fat ass on it and ride like the wind or at least as good as you can :prof: