Sign in to follow this  

Boot Shopping for Fat guys

So I decided to go shopping for some new boots...to me, putting my boots on is the worst part of my day of riding so going to a store and trying on a handful of different boots is agony especially when you are trying on boots that dont even remotly fit your calves...

I decided I wouldnt be biased by anybody so I tried all the high end boots...

Those who saw my Fox Pro Forma review last year know I didnt waste my time with those POS's and wouldnt even call them high end.

Boot shopping for a fat guy sucks since getting the boot to completly close (even without leathers and pads) is hard to come by so I did some research...

I read in a tech article on DRN about a guy who had 18.5 inch calves and wore asterisks and Sidis fit like a champ so I hauled [butt] over to the sidi display and tried them on...

Either that guy is a lying POS or he was measuring in centimeters...not even close...and I have 19 inch calves and didnt even have leathers or pads on, let alone bulky asterisks.

Fly(268 retail)... Very nice fit, they closed nicely, but they looked awful and were 2 times bulkier then they needed to be. Construction looked cheap as well.

Gaernes...my ankle was in so much agony I didnt even bother trying to strap them up.

Tech 10s(459 retail)...fell in love...comfortable, closed completely felt like I was walking on air, but the price was stupid...even at my cost.

Didnt try on the tech 8s since I own them, know how they feel and wear and although they are awesome I wanted something bigger in the calf area.

I went to another shop and tried on Oxtar TCX Pro boots...

The oxtar was the hands down winner(329 retail) The boot fit so nice, felt so comfortable that I had to get em and I will test there durability this year. The buckles are much nicer then my tech 8s...they actually release when you take them off.

So if there are any fat guys looking for new boots but dont want to spend 459 on tech 10s(I coulda got them for 382 OTD and still said no), but dont want to duct tape the top of there boots closed... try-on the oxtar TCX pro.

I walked out with a better boot, 5 cans of air filter oil, a new kill switch, a dunlop, new rim locks, and a few other odds and ends for less then my cost on the tech 10s!!! Alpinestar makes a great product but they need to pull their head out of their [butt] on pricing!

I concurr on the whole boot closing procedure, being a fat guy myself, putting on boots is the worst part of the day, what's worse is having your skinny ridding buddies laugh as you struggle :) btw i'm no ricky racer, so tech 4's are the bomb for me.

My biggest complaint is the lack of riding gear for us portly fellas, especially pants, i can't find a pair that fits in all areas, some will fit in the waist, but not the seat, others will fit the seat, but not in the thighs, why can't they make riding gear for us big guys?

I read in a tech article on DRN about a guy who had 18.5 inch calves and wore asterisks and Sidis fit like a champ so I hauled [butt] over to the sidi display and tried them on...

Either that guy is a lying POS or he was measuring in centimeters...not even close...and I have 19 inch calves and didnt even have leathers or pads on, let alone bulky asterisks.

Supposedly the shin plate on the sidi's is adjustable, but you need to get the screwdriver out, they sound like they are the business.. I'm hoping they adjust enough to get my 13" calves in there without feeling like i'm wearing wellington boots.

It ain't much better for us really skinny guys either. You've got a 19" calf? I don't even have a 19" thigh!!!

In the olden days when boots were all leather, even with all the buckles fastened to the last hole, my legs looked like a broom handle stuck in a bucket!! I used to have to take them to a cobbler to have 2 or 3 inches taken out of the uppers and then would still wear 2 pair of extra-thick riding socks to fill up the inside. I was pleasantly surprised that the modern boots have a much wider range of adjustment....the Velcro tab at the top helps them fit me, but it sounds like they've got a ways to go before they work for you big guys.

The rest of the riding gear is about the same....I just rattle around inside it. If I find a jersey with a sleeve that almost reaches to my wrist, then I could easily use the body as a tent! Now I just get used to forearm-length sleeves and use a Rock Gardn Flak Jacket to fill up the rest of the inside of the jersey. :)

Good luck on your hunt for decent fitting gear. There's currently a survey somewhere on here that asks people to post their height/weight/age/bike, and from looking through that there seems to be a lot of bigger riders. The manufacturers are probably missing out on an opportunity here.

Cheers,

Mac

Supposedly the shin plate on the sidi's is adjustable, but you need to get the screwdriver out, they sound like they are the business.. I'm hoping they adjust enough to get my 13" calves in there without feeling like i'm wearing wellington boots.

oh I got the screw driver out alright!!! I would have needed a die grinder to bore out the slots to get that plate to go. more..

It was the feeling like when you try something on and before you even get 1/2 way there on you know its wrong...for me it was slipping my foot in and saying uh uh.

The worst is my condition.....abnormally large+wide feet. (size 15 or bigger) Many companies don't make any larger than 13-14.

That puts a damper on things as well, lol.

~Eric

Holy smokes,

:p

so I guess it is true that BIGFOOT lives in Washington. :D

Sorry I don't have anything constuctive to say, but that was funny :):)

The worst is my condition.....abnormally large+wide feet. (size 15 or bigger) Many companies don't make any larger than 13-14.

That puts a damper on things as well, lol.

~Eric

I wear a size 14 and find it hard (if not impossible) to find shoes in my size. I can't even imagine trying to find shoes in a size 15 :)

I've started doing most of my shoe shopping online though. You get to see everyone's inventory instantly. I'm only out on shipping if they don't fit and have to send them back :)

LOL ! Wenative, nice spray in avatar !But ya should have your buds in the spray zone like I do !

I never measured my calves but glad to hear I'm not a loner in this tight area. I found cheap axos worked for me. Had to change a couple of lower shorter straps to longer upper straps . Velcro just barely touches to stick. Can't wear shin guards. I just wear blue jeans . I told my buds , that typical riding gear was overalls and construction boots. May have to resort back to those days. :)

PS on-line shopping cost me too much in return shipping. (clothing stuff)

I don't know how big most of you guys are but I'm 5'9" and 215 so I'm not in the running to be a model anytime soon. I've had good luck with my Gaerne SG10's. Good fit right out of the box and with the hinged ankle they really didn't require any break in. Plus you can remove the top buckle completely and just use the velcro inner closure if your calves are really huge. :)

Joe

just my own experiences here.....

I have 19 and 1/2" calves and used to cut off the bottom part of my shin/knee guards until the boots stretched out somewhat.

I wear a size 13 shoe and have a size 14 Alpinestars Tech-8 boot with the Alpinestars exnted straps on the top calf strap. they work perfectly with even more adjustment allowable.

And my current boot is a size 13.5 Gaerne SG-10 boot with a "rig up" job :)

i bought some extra straps, cut them, and pop riveted them onto the current straps for more length and adjustability.

215, youre just a little fart. lol j/k. I am 5'9" 280, my buddy is 325 and my bro is 300. We were all wieghtlifters back in the day, now we are mostly just fat but still carry alot of muscle. Anyway we all wear O'neals. I have the Hardwear, they have M900's and M10's. They fit us real well and feel good too. Good luck big boy, I feel your pain.

Well considering I used to be a 175 pound distance runner 215 seems fat now. :)

Joe