Sign in to follow this  

Need help to reconnect TPS

I'm reinstalling my BSR36 carb after rejetting my S. After reading various tips from you folks, I was quite happy with how easily I got the carb back into the boots. :p I tightened up the boot clamps, and decided to hook the TPS back up. I saw the slot in the end of the throttle shaft, and noted the keyway above it. Looked inside the black plastic casing of the TPS, and noted the white plastic keys, and their orientation. Got everything aligned, and they started to mate, but the TPS body just doesn't want to sit flush on the carb. I've tried, retried, and retried again. Just can't seem to get it to sit flush. :) What am I forgetting, or doing wrong? :)

Is there a specific reason you need/want to reinstall the TPS? The word on the street is that it's removal does not effect performance in the least. Just leave it off.

And BTW, you do not need to remove the TPS to either remove the carb from the bike or change jets. :)

The reason I want to reinstall it is principle. I took it out, I can put it back in. :p My initial post was no doubt unclear. I removed the carb to do a complete DJ kit install, not just rejet. Sorry for not explaining myself more clearly. :)

All is well however. :D When I disconnected the TPS, the rubber ring or gasket, stayed inside the carb body. It was collapsing when I tried to reinsert the TPS. I fished it out from the carb body, placed it back on the shoulder in the TPS, aligned they keyways, and everything went back into place. :)

By manual, I take it you mean the service manual, as I can't find anything in my owner's manual about the TPS. I've been meaning to order a manual, so now I have a reminder. Hope it's a relatively simple proceedure.

Question though burned. If the TPS don't mean squat anyway, what would be the harm of it being hooked up, but not adjusted properly? Is it one of those situations where the computer will function well without a signal, but will screw up if it's given the wrong signal?

Good thing I posted about having trouble getting it back on. Thanks for alerting me. :)

BTW folks, I just want to publicly confess how stooooopid I feel for disconnecting the TPS from the carb, instead of just unplugging it at the other end. :D:):D:p Sometimes I really wonder about myself. :)

BTW folks, I just want to publicly confess how stooooopid I feel for disconnecting the TPS from the carb, instead of just unplugging it at the other end. :D:):D:) Sometimes I really wonder about myself. :p

Luckily for me I stripped out one of the TPS screws when trying to remove it which made me find the connector...

Question though burned. If the TPS don't mean squat anyway, what would be the harm of it being hooked up, but not adjusted properly? Is it one of those situations where the computer will function well without a signal, but will screw up if it's given the wrong signal?

The tps does make a difference it helps in low speed traction.

with the tps unplugged the cdi uses a defualt map.

so yes in this case unplugged is better than misadjusted.

as long as it looks like you got it back in the same spot,its probably ok.

yes,i meant the service manual.

As you know burned, the TPS mounting holes are slotted. I'm sure I got everything assembled and seated properly on the throttle shaft. I'm just not sure that I got the screw heads in the exact same position they were in from the factory. Then again, based on my experience with an FZ1, I know the TPS is not always set optimally from the factory. I never tried to start the bike, or ride it, so I have no idea how close, or how far off I am at this point in time. I should have picked up a shop manual by now anyway. I'll get it, and with help from a buddy and his multimeter, I should be able to set the TPS up properly. Thanks again burned. If you didn't bring this to my attention, I'd really be scratching my head if the bike didn't run right.

rockchucker22,

You appear to disagree with the "you can't tell if it's plugged or unplugged" theory. I'm not knowledgeable enough to agree, or disagree with you. Care to educate me?

rockchucker22,

You appear to disagree with the "you can't tell if it's plugged or unplugged" theory. I'm not knowledgeable enough to agree, or disagree with you. Care to educate me?

Yea I don't know how but mine fell off so I got the spacer and parts I thought were missing and put it back together. After a couple of rides I noticed it wasn't responding well at the lower rpms so I asked here what to do and Bronco gave a link to a chart and I adjusted it the best a wood worker does with elictrical crap :) anyways it feels much better with it adjusted than not :) . I could be over sensitive but I was doing the same trails and finding very differnt results with the adjustment. I would like to experiment with it more just don't have the time. :p

So...if the TPS was unplugged first, the carb removed and then the TPS removed from the carb do you still have to go through the re-set procedure? I think I got it back in about the same place but it wouldn't appear too hard to adjust with the slots, right? I wondered about those slots so now it makes sense. Burned, you are an absolute mountain of information! Thanks... :)

So...if the TPS was unplugged first, the carb removed and then the TPS removed from the carb do you still have to go through the re-set procedure? I think I got it back in about the same place but it wouldn't appear too hard to adjust with the slots, right? I wondered about those slots so now it makes sense. Burned, you are an absolute mountain of information! Thanks... :)

Yes it still needs to be reset.

Thanks for the link to the other thread with the adjustment proceedure in it Ray. :) I just never thought of the "TPS + adjustment" combo when I did my search. :)