Sign in to follow this  

Is supercross turning into the wwf?

It had been 20 years since i had attended a supercross race, anaheim 3 was my first, and last, night san diego. What happened to it being about racing? All the hooplah, cigarette voiced announcers, music montages, aimless/endless banter by the announcers, tv commercials on the big screen, i found it to be a bit much, what do you guys think?

That's just the way it is these days. Everything great is full of hoopla and commercials these days. We just have to look past it, roll our eyes :) and enjoy the racing. :)

i agree. it also sucks being surrounded by 45,000 idiot dirtbiker wanna be's with fmf logos' on there ford emblems, socal stickers on their trucks, etc. it's just a grouping of stupidity. shoot 2 years ago i nearly got in a fight. some idiot just walks up and says "get out of my seat!!" so i politely tell him and his buddies that this is my correct seat, and i show him my stub. he then says " you better get up because i'm about to get violent". i just looked at him and laughed.

then we get out to our vehicles and they are surrounded by glass bottles, some are wedged underneath our tires, and saw 3 fights in the parking lot just while walking through to get out of that h3LL hole. :)

I honestly can't say regarding SX. But I can tell you this-- we went to the FMX in Philly last month. When had fun. But when describing it, I always included that it very much had a "professional wrestling" feel about it.

All the way through to having it feel as if the winners were picked PRIOR to the event. I don't know-- still fun. Just a bit over-produced.

I didn't want to say anything about the possibility of it being choreographed, i'm glad you mentioned it....but could it be possible? :)

One thing that i forgot to mention, i am so glad that qualcom didn't allow all the idiots on pit bikes, run rampant through the parking lot! At anaheim i couldn't believe the stupidity of a lot of parents letting their kids ride pit bikes in the parking lot, i saw several near misses where kids could have been severly injured. And lets not forget the tattoed wannabe metal mulisha fools terrorizing everyone that was trying to have a nice tailgate bbq, what a bunch of boobs!

metal mulisha fools??? what're talking about man??? they're hardcore bada$$!!! :)

that's really pretty friggin lame to hear that people are like that at these events though. fighting and all that crap. you go to have a good time but i suppose it's true that there's a$$holes everywhere :)

I guess the people that live on the east coast will never know what it's like to see a supercross race in person. Unless you drive to Florida or Michigan to see it. :p:D:D Can't we get one somewhere above the Mason/Dixon line? :):)

How about the "Supercross Cheerleaders" that were at the Anahiem races. That was a joke. :)

Yeah, unfortunately w/all the new sponsors, they want you too see their product everywhere, want it mentioned alot too..

As for the people, i'll be happy the day they quit selling beer at races & sporting events..Alot of posers at the races too, cant wait for the Nationals too start..

Rick

How about the "Supercross Cheerleaders" that were at the Anahiem races. That was a joke. :)

I didn't see them...i think that would have made me hurl!

What about the comercials for supercross the movie, did you see those? What a sappy stupid embarassing movie that is!

At least you guys can still go to a race, they took Minneapolis off the schedule, I've been going to that race since 99, now nothin, really sux!!! Looked forward to going every year, with all the hype this year I was really looking forward to going. Don't know why they took it off the schedule, does anyone else, and I know it was due to cold weather cuz everytime I went it was pretty decent temps.

Unfortunately those in charge think the WWF is how sports should be presented. Idiots.

At one SX race, the people in front of us were standing up talking, ignoring the start of the race. A real fan knows the start and the first lap are everything. These people were clueless.

Well, full stadiums are good for business and the sport. Outdoor events aren't quite so silly.

Clear Channel is in the "ENTERTAINMENT" business. A good percentage of the people that attend a Supercross race also attend rock concerts, wrestling matches and monster truck shows. They have to turn it into a "Show" for the non riding ticket buyers. Most of the folks willing to battle the heat and dust to watch an outdoor event are somehow involved in riding themselves.

The last bastion of racing dissappeared this year with the scantly clad girl holding up the 30 second board. This used to be done by an AMA official.

If you want real retro mx, you'll have to attend an outdoor national.

I don't SX is too commercialized.

After all, it was raining all day here, so with my O'Neal/Azonic/Blur optics/Splitfire/FMFYamaha safely parked in my shop, I watched some exciting racing recorded on my Thor/Parts Unlimited/Panasonic VCR, while drinking a Red Bull and eating a delicious Butterfinger which I just retrieved from my Makita/Kenmore frostless refrigerator.

I had a great time, how about you?

I was also at the San Diego SX and I can't believe how things have changed and I'm talking about how a great deal of people have turned it into a giant party event. The parking lot, every where you look, people drunk acting like idiots.

I had to get up and take my kid to the restroom just as the 125cc Main Event started. Walking past the plaza area I looked over and there is hundreds of people out there just drinking and screwing around like there wasn't even a race going on. It was obvious they didn't come to watch the sport but to drink and act like idiots.

I have been going to SX since 77' and people used to come to supercross to support the sport and watch motorcycle racing. Now they use it as an excuse to drink and act like an a$$!

I don't SX is too commercialized.

After all, it was raining all day here, so with my O'Neal/Azonic/Blur optics/Splitfire/FMFYamaha safely parked in my shop, I watched some exciting racing recorded on my Thor/Parts Unlimited/Panasonic VCR, while drinking a Red Bull and eating a delicious Butterfinger which I just retrieved from my Makita/Kenmore frostless refrigerator.

I had a great time, how about you?

:):):p

Well, full stadiums are good for business and the sport. Outdoor events aren't quite so silly.

on the contrary, the two outdoor nationals i've attended (washougal 95, 98) i barely knew what was going on from moto to moto. they made very little attempt to clear things up. however, with 2, 20 lap motos i had plenty of time to figure it out.

anyone who needs an excuse is a homo

whats your excuse then???????