Sign in to follow this  

suspension

pretty much i really want to be able to hit stuff faster, i think i can adjust the front a little, sending them off is not optional and neither is getting cr85 stuff, just dont have the dough for it, i partly understand the concept of setting it up from the magazine, but if i screw it up can it be worse, like if i start adjusting my shock thanks

It's really very simple. I set it for my son and wife in the parking lot this summer. They both weigh the same a Jr. rides the 150 as his hare scramble bike. Just get a measuring tape (I used a metal yard stick), and go at it. I would suggest using a 5 lb. sledge hammer instead of a claw hammer. It takes a lot of whacking to loosen up the locking collar with a 16 oz. claw hammer. I simply sat the yard stick on top of the axle on the left side and rested the top end of the yard stick in the V created by the side cover and used that as my point of reference for measurements.

Put the bike on a stand so the rear wheel is off the ground. Measure from the axle bolt to the intersection of the numberplate and the rear fender (slip the measuring device behind the numberplate, and go to the intersection. Get a piece of tape and mark where it is. Then from that point, measure down (less) 100mm (10 cm, 1" = 2.54cm) And put a piece of tape there.

Now have someone hold the bike steady but not apply any pressure. Wear all of your gear and stand on the bike in the attack posistion. Find out if you need more or less sag. Tightening the nut means less sag, loosening it, means more sag.

So far we've just done the rear. My son said it made the rear suspension less harsh on some of the motorcross jumps. I know from experience that proper sag makes the suspension work better. The only way you're really going to find out is by doing it and experiencing the difference. Remember, you can always put it back like it was if you don't like it.