Sign in to follow this  

BBR dampening rods

BBR Dampening rods for a CRF70. I weigh 135lbs, will be riding primarily on a road circuit, and plan on putting stiffer springs on front and rear. Is there going to be a night and day difference with the BBR rods going in at the same time, or is it a small improvement at best?

I have the BBR damping rods and springs in my 70. They are longer than stock and have a smaller fork oil hole to slow down the stronger rebound caused by the stiffer springs. I would think that using the springs without the damping rods would make the front end act like a pogo stick.

FYI - "Dampening" is to make something wet - "Damping" is to slow down.

Hrmmm... the improved damping sounds good, dunno if I wanna push up my front end by 1" though. Of course, the stock top triple clamp isn't a clamp at all, it's a plate, so I can't just slide the forks up to compensate... bah.

One minor note... I'm on a budget. A CHEAP budget. : ) If I can get away with just springs, cool. The less I have to spend, the better. To flip it around, if I'm dropping $80 on a spring when I'll just need to spend $250 afterwards to get a shock in the rear to match the new ride height of the front... I'd like to know now so I can just rob a bank and get the shock. : )

Anyone wanna buy stock CRF 70 fork springs/damping rods, and rear shock? : )

(Actually, does a replacement upgrade shock in the rear really make the bike sit higher, or is that just an artifact of the stiffer spring?)

(Actually, does a replacement upgrade shock in the rear really make the bike sit higher, or is that just an artifact of the stiffer spring?)

The aftermarket shocks for the 70 are longer than stock.

the original dampening rod holes could be brazed then re-drilled also. thus making them smaller and its cheap its something that race tech gold valve emulators call for on an rz 350 and it worked quite well when i had it done.

as far as hole size after brazing i dont know you could start small and worl your way up.

i think the brazing cost me ~20 dollars from a machine/welding shop

Didn't think of brazing... will have to look into that. For now, I'm just going to try heavier fork oil and see how things go.