Sign in to follow this  

21" tube in a 19" tire

Hallow gang,

Planing a trip down to Baja. I was told to save weight and space on my pack use 21" tire tubes for my bike which i have a 21" front tire and a 19" rear. Is this true? will the 21 inch tube work on the back?

Gracias,Eddie. :)

It will work but if you have a 19" rim on the rear that must be a MX bike... Be sure and bring extra gas :) Have no idea of the ride you have planned but for the most part you might need to go 70+ miles without fuel.

It really depends on how much weight / space you NEED to save. I'd personally pack a 21" in the fender bag and keep a spare 21" and a 19" in the chase truck (or base camp) that way you can use the larger tube for both wheels to "limp" home, and replace it with the proper tube once you get there.

Baja is absolutly amazing. Just to throw some advice out there, if you're planning on riding for a day, pack for two. ANYTHING can happen down there, and its more fun to be prepared for it.

Yes, ISDT and ISDE riders carry a 21" tube. I have put a 21" tube into a 5.10X17 before and finished the day. It will chafe in the long run but it will get you through one day. I would also consider a 18" rear wheel . 19" may work for MX but isn't the hot ticket for off road. Not enough sidewall.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Why put the wrong tube in a tire unless you "absolutely" have to put the wrong tube in a tire? Seems like a real temporary fix. For just riding, an extra tube isn't that much extra. New tires and tubes BEFORE you go might save you some hassle.

Why put the wrong tube in a tire unless you "absolutely" have to put the wrong tube in a tire? Seems like a real temporary fix. For just riding, an extra tube isn't that much extra. New tires and tubes BEFORE you go might save you some hassle.

We are talking temporary fix. You don't want to carry 2 separate tubes. You can't put a 18" tube into a 21" tire.

Dwight

Thanks for confirming that guy's.:)

The 21" tube will be use to get me back to my staging area in case i get a flat 30+ miles away. I'm also taking extra tubes to properly fix the flats with the right ones.

I am on a MX bike, but with an O/S gas tank, I can get about 100 miles out of that tank. I like to get a 18" rear wheel but what i have is what i can afford. I'm stuffing as much tools and food in my little camelpak for 1/2 of riding thanks for the tip.

Anybody going to mikes sky ranch after the the Baja? I'll be there :)

I'd suggest that you put in ULTRA heavy duty tubes before you go. That, and a little prayer and maybe you'll survive without a flat. I use only the tubes that seem like a tire themselves. Bridgestone makes a good one.

How can you afford to go to Mike's and not afford a decent wheel setup ???????????

Dwight

Oh man have you seen how much their asking for a rear 18" wheel??? to much$$$

seems like your paying for the name more than anything. I refuse to do that...and evilbay is just as bad:excuseme:

i have a decent tire set up on my bike, 756 up front and the IT out back. heavy duty tubes on fresh tires. I run the 120 tire on the 19" rim for a little more sidewall it helps, Besides staying at mikes cost as much as one tire($50) :)