Sign in to follow this  

2001 vs. 2002 vs. 2003

Hey,

I'm looking foward to getting a used yzf/wr 250, the problem is the 2003(which is the year i want) is kinda out of my price range. Whats the difference between 2001 and the 2002 and 2003, would it be worth it to spend extra to get the '03?

thanks

:)

In 2002 the yz250f had a removable aluminum subframe, a newly designed rear arm, A new two-piece piston in the front fork allows for smoother oil flow, 2.1 gal tank, 46mm inverted Kayaba cartridge fork.

In 2003 they gave it automatic decompression, new hot start system, Redesigned airbox features, new styling, flatter seat, fuel tank(1.8 gal) and radiator shrouds.

In 2003 the WR's got electric start and Auto Decompression to.

Check out http://www.thumperfaq.com/ and check under Info/Spec's for more information on the different year bikes. Steve.

2001-2002 use the same plastic. 03 is much flatter with a smaller fuel tank for better ergos

The 2002-04 uses a new swingarm and shock. Also the rear brake is increased in size from 240 to 245mm. Internals are lighter in the engine and forks. Bars are moved forward on the top clamp.

03 is the newer design with the autodecomp exhaust cam, new ergos and new rear brake caliper.

Spend the extra money for the newest bike you can purchase. The 03 would be a great starting point. If you want all the details of the yearly changes, visit your Yamaha dealer and get the Dealer Seminar update books to browse through for 2002 and 2003. They list all the update, reason for changes and advantages.