Sign in to follow this  

yz250f on trails?

I have a friend who is selling his yz250f for a good price. I like it because its so lightweight, and easy to throw around. I mostly ride trails, would this bike be ok on trails? Is there anything that i would have to change on it to make it better on the trails? Also, i enjoy having a headlight on my motorcycles, how hard would it be to get a headlight on this motorcycle?

Thanks- :)

Buy it and put on a wr250f ignition and flywheel. You will get a lighting coil and a heavy flywheel. The heavy flywheel on the trail is the ticket.

The stock YZ250f works great on the trails, just get a quiet muffler if you have too, other wise the stock pipe is awesome! If you put a light on it wont be a light bike any more because you have to put a battery then the stater then the light and number plate. Just try to keep it as stock as possible or you will just start screwing things up.

You won't need a battery with a wr ignition. The additional weight is not a issue. Skid plate, don't need it. Big tank, not really. Handgaurds and heavy flywheel, oh yea.

You could ask every person on this site and they would all say that you can't go wrong with a race bike 250f on the trails. They are great. May I ask what kind of trails that you will be riding? If you are riding deep woods, then you might want a heavier flywheel, but otherwise don't do it (Add the heavier flywheel). She might take a little clutch work, but you'll get used to it. Otherwise, add handguards, a big tank if you need it, a heavier flywheel if you need it, and a quiet pipe if you need it and then you will have the ultimate trail weapon. Radiator braces and a kickstand from Trail Tech are not necesities, but I swear by mine.

I have a WR450F and we bought my daughter a YZ250F about 6 weeks ago and installed a Rekluse. Like a DRZ400 rider stated, "this is the ultimate harescramble racer!" If you're considering changing out anything to make it more trail worthy (motor/power wise) just throw in a Rekluse and it's perfect.

I'm 235lbs and the suspension is perfect in stock form for my weight. For a lighter guy, you'd probably need lighter springs and maybe valving. We don't have any mountainous areas so I don't know how it will perform in those conditions, but for open or tight trails it really shines.

Just buy it and don't look back. I cry everytime I get off her and look at my WR.

Rich

You won't need a battery with a wr ignition. The additional weight is not a issue. Skid plate, don't need it. Big tank, not really. Handgaurds and heavy flywheel, oh yea.

If your into serious offroading you definately want a skidplate, your oil lines are right there. If you would like to ride more than 50 miles you will want a big tank

With stock gearing, it felt like the YZ 250 F lacked top speed on the desert trails. It's still a fun bike on the slower trails though.