Xr250l

the most rescent would be a 95 if i'm not mistaking , i had a 93 , had alot of fun. Its a heavy bike nothing like a true XR. The suspension is very plush and if you start to want to trail ride this bike while trying to push it , soon the suspension gets wrapped up.

If you have suspension work done it then becomes more of a XR but with several lbs more.

I would say that if you are a seasoned rider

you can have some serious fun, for a beginner trying to do serious trail work its a bit of a dog.

You really have to anticipate with this bike like going over a diagonal wet log , the rake and trail is very different and the front wheel has a hard time to loft over obstacles without hammering it all the time.

I went over the bars tons of times with this bike

Good side it can be plated to toot around

bad side the stock motor is kind of whimpy. It can be made to do rather well, carburation and exhaust help is needed.

Valve adjusting is frequent l on these bikes , the cam is alot smoother than the stock XR.

If the price is right go for it, the nice thing with that bike is it has a real dipstick and you dont have to warm the bike up wondering if you have oil !

A place which had tons of part at the time was Thumper racing

stu

• 15 years later...

I have a 1992 XR250L, the US released models are kickstart only.  The gear ratios are wider than an a 250r as well as a lower cam lift and different carburetor, and smaller header pipes for street riding and emissions standards.  The XR cam, carb, and header pipes will directly fit for better low end power.  The good thing about this bike is it started as a 250r and adapted to the street so has better off road capabilities than most DS's.  Most start as a street bike and adapted to offroad.  As long as its tuned and the carb is clean, 2 or 3 kicks to get it started no problems.