Sign in to follow this  

Weight Loss / Junk to Remove?

Other than the end-weights on the handlebars and tool bag, what can you remove from the "S" that weighs anything? I AM willling to cut up some of the subframe to eliminate the brackets for the canister and possibly remove even more of the rear subframe... What is WORTH DOING and what isn't?

I would also like to eliminate the cannister, and a LOT of the redundant tubes, but I've been warned that if its not done right, the bike wont run..

I found a webpage that showed a 30lb loss, but that was EXTREME - including shaving extremely small parts down..

Other than the end-weights on the handlebars and tool bag, what can you remove from the "S" that weighs anything? I AM willling to cut up some of the subframe to eliminate the brackets for the canister and possibly remove even more of the rear subframe... What is WORTH DOING and what isn't?

I would also like to eliminate the cannister, and a LOT of the redundant tubes, but I've been warned that if its not done right, the bike wont run..

I found a webpage that showed a 30lb loss, but that was EXTREME - including shaving extremely small parts down..

Well, it's your bike but I sure wouldn't start cuttin'-up the sub-frame...I think it's kinda engineered for a reason. I removed the kick-stand switch, end-bars, passenger pegs, etc. But I don't know how you'd get all that down to 30 pounds unless you got rid of the magic button, starter, battery and install a kick-starter. :)

Bar end weights, tool kit, footpeg inserts, passenger foot pegs, seat strap, spacers in turn signals and tail light, 1 foot off tail fender (better yet aftermarket tail light and turn signals), chain guard, countershaft sprocket cover, change S headlight to aftermarket headlight, change speedo to aftermarket speedo, aftermarket exhaust, switch metal tank for a plastic one. Then you'll be getting up into the 20+ pound weight loss range.

Aftermarket dual sport mirrors are a lot lighter, stock ones are about a pound each. Think some states only require one side view to be street legal?

First thing to ditch is the stock exhaust and put a lighter aftermarket unit on.

Next is the headlight/instrument cluster. That headlight assembly weighs a ton.

30 lbs off of an S should put it about stock E weight...I wouldn't conseider that too extreme....the Man might not find it very street legal, though.

rOb said "slimfast", maybe jokingly, but everyone ought to ponder that one.

Five pounds off the rider is better than 5 pounds off the bike. Sure, a pound is a pound, and effect of the incremental weight on bike performance/acceleration is the same, but the the benefits of losing 5 pounds off the waistline would vastly exceed the benefits of 5 pounds off the bike.

Of course, I've only met a couple of TTers, so it may be the case that everyone else here is training for a marathon, and I'm the only one who has gained 7 pounds in the last year...

Slimfast!!! That's funny - I've actually LOST 10lbs from riding the DRZ almost 2000 miles in only 2 1/2 months!!! I'm down to 165!!! I haven't weighed this since the Marine Corps!

I'm probably going to switch to the BajaDesigns LED tailight - that thing looks awesome and fits perfect with a little triming..

As for the subframe - I meant the helmet lock and extra brackets for the cannister, along with removing the little spot welds that hold it on.. I may even leave that there too - only like a couple ounces...

I'm also planning on shaving off the tabs that hold the chain guard..

spacers in turn signals and tail light, 1 foot off tail fender

How do you remove the spacers and still attach the turn signal lights? I looked at it when I first got the bike, and couldn't see how you could remove it....

What do you mean by one foot off the tail fender???

I appreciate all the comments - I think I can lose a few pounds off the bike.. Doesn't look like very much though...

one foot off the tail fender- I expect that refers to the taillight assembly that hangs below the fender.

I once snapped off the shift lever on a stump and quite happily spent the rest of the day in 3rd gear (everyone was still eating roost) so I suppose you could lose that if you were desperate, then you could remove the 4 extra gears from the gearbox as well. :)

Seriously, slimfast is the best suggestion unless you want to sell the S and get an E, or spend lots turning your bike into one.

I would have bought a different bike if the LAWS IN CALIFORNIA weren't soooooooooooo screwed up...

My cousins 1986 TWO STROKE IT200 that burns and sprays oil and smoke everywhere is legal to ride 24/7 365 Days a year (Green Sticker), but my Brothers 4-Stroke, 2003 WR450F has a red sticker and CANNOT RIDE during the summer, and only certain times of the year at certain areas...

REDICULOUSLY BACKWARDS!!!!

I simply bought the DRZ because it has a license plate, and bypasses all the STUPID LAWS.. :D:)

I have NO CHOICE but to do everything I can to make it an "E" Model.. :D

I already cut off that extra foot off the rear - That was the first thing I did when I got it home from the stealer.... Hopefully, I'll get the BD LED tomorrow!!!!! That is PERFECT!! (Hope the cops agree) :)

I just got done taking my motorcycle drivers test and passed with 100%, so now I can finally drive on the freeways and at night!!!! :p