Sign in to follow this  

Using a mutimeter..... I have NO idea how?

I hope someone can explain in fine detail how to use one and parden asking on here because this is for trouble shooting no spark on a couple 4 stroke 3 wheelers but asking on the site I go on not too many know about this subject and it's mostly a younger crowd with not near the knowledge that this crew has.

Please feel free to join there and help others or just reply on here. I'm sure you'd be helping alot more then just me and alot on TT too!

Here is the link that I posted on the subject with a pic of the meter I bought.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=197399#post197399

This will fill you in on how far I got testing with it but I'm still in a fog as to what all the functions are on the meter and how to use them.

Thanks so much!

Posting pictures on this site is great! I like the set up they have for it.

-Huffa

the resoult you have come up with seems ok, the 200S SP must be the problem unless it has to have a resistans. try to replace the sparkplug wire for this coil and see if it works.

it's kind of difficult to explain a multimeter on a forum???

ohm is the measurement for resistans, and you have to set the MM to the grade of resistat you wan't to measure.

it's the same with the other measurments on the instrument.

hope it helps a little

OK. I'll take a stab at trying to explain it to you. Bear with me though. Been a EE for too long....

1. The input marked 10AMax is only for current readings. Use the other input for voltage and resistance.

2. Getting an accurate resistance measurement below about 3 to 5 ohms is really tough. Your leads and the contact resistance will cause your measurement to vary. So if you are getting something even close the thing you are measuring is probably ok.

3. V = I x R , V in volts, A in Amps, R in ohms. 1Kohm = 1000 ohms, 1KV=1000volts

4. Trying troubleshoot a coil with a multi-meter is tough. Basicly you can only tell if its completely open circuited (.i.e totally fried). It's almost impossible to tell if its one of the windings has got a partial short.

5. Trying to measure resistance of the high voltage lead to the plug it tough too unless its got a solid copper conductor. Its hard to get a good probe contact on those dang graphite center conductors.

6. If you got parts to swap back and forth its a much more reliable way to troubleshoot coil & the high voltage (spark plug) size.