Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade from XR400R

Just a question which has probably been asked time and time again...

I am thinking of replacing my 97 XR400R. Why ???? :) I ride a lot of tight trails and rocky hills. I am finding the XR heavy (especially when it's lying on it side halfway up a hill :p )

What would be a good upgrade ??? I was actually considering (dare I say it :) ) going to a 250/300 2 stroke, which would be lighter and easier to throw around (and pick up !) or would a new 4 stroke be a smarter purchase.

Any suggestion any could offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ! :D

Well, I had to pick up my 250 sx about 6 times yesterday on some steep hills and it's nice to kick once and off you go. It's definately a different kind of riding... My friend has a 300 exc and it is a better trail bike than my 250sx but my bike does well also.

Six times... Glad I'm not the only one ! :)

Thanks for you post.

I'm no expert, but I think a fourstroke is better for trails. I think fourstrokes offer better throttle contol. I think 250s are better for tight singletrack and 450s better for hills, but your weight and agressiveness are factors also. :)

The Yamaha YZ250F (I think) and Honda CRF250X are pretty nice bikes these days. They're both 4strokes, feel light and great for tight trails. Honda has a new CRF450X but I hear it isn't much lighter than the XR400.

It really depends on how you want to ride. Three friends have gone from the XR650R and XR400R to the KTM300 EXC and love the bike. I've thought of getting a YZ250F for something different. The Honda CRF250X is a ton lighter.

It really depends on how you want to ride. Three friends have gone from the XR650R and XR400R to the KTM300 EXC and love the bike. I've thought of getting a YZ250F for something different. The Honda CRF250X is a ton lighter.

Did your friends fine the transition from the xr to 300 easy ???

I went from a 98 xr 400 to a 03 300exc and I love the "3 stroke". The xr was a reliable workhorse but I really got tired of

1 picking it up

2 starting it

3 picking it up

4 twisting the throttle and waiting for something to happen

5 starting it

6 picking it up

What I love about the 300exc 3 stroke

1 starting it

2 picking it up is a breeze because I don't have to pick it up nearly as much as the xr

3 INSTANT throttle response

4 handles like a bike should handle on a tight trail, not like the old lumber wagon

5 I can take it to a mx track and it's fun, unlike a xr at the track

I would agree that the 300 is the best all around trail 2 stroke... my friend says he never touches his clutch and we were climbing some gnarly muddy hills. That along with a wrist 1 1/2 weeks from pins being removed were the causes of my falls. My wrist just wasn't strong enough to control bike so I would just let it go down softly and pick it back up. I'm hoping to get a ride on a 520sx real soon for comparison.

A buddy of mine faithfully rode his 96 xr400 for eight years until he aquired a 2004 450 ktm exc. It is light, has a button, and the suspension is so much better he just can't get himself to even throw a leg over the old XR anymore. He also test rode other smaller cc bikes but after so many years on the XR the 450 has the torque that he is used to and would probably be something you would miss first, especially for trail riding.

I went from an XR400 to a KTM 525 EXC. Love the choice I made...I'll never go back! :)

My suggestions to you:

Four stroke: 450/525 EXC/MXC

Two stroke: 300 EXC

Well, thanks for all your posts so far...

I think I'm convinced already, time to retire the old XR.

(no2tracks: Yep... I hear ya !!!! :) )

And now the search begins... I'm edging towards the 300exc :p

Thanks again to all that submitted their post.

:)

Just a question which has probably been asked time and time again...

I am thinking of replacing my 97 XR400R. Why ???? :) I ride a lot of tight trails and rocky hills. I am finding the XR heavy (especially when it's lying on it side halfway up a hill :p )

What would be a good upgrade ??? I was actually considering (dare I say it :) ) going to a 250/300 2 stroke, which would be lighter and easier to throw around (and pick up !) or would a new 4 stroke be a smarter purchase.

Any suggestion any could offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ! :D

any KTM offroad bike would be a big improvement in handling and weight. a 2 stroke will feel like a bicycle after that XR

all the KTM 2 strokes are good, but the YZ250 is my pick as most versitle dirt bike on the planet. despite it's MX pedigree it has a perfeft motor for off-road, and if you're a big guy like me, the MX suspension is perfect for off-road. they're cheap, light, east to maintain, easy to start, nimble, great handling, and a true MX weapon all at the same time.

Did your friends fine the transition from the xr to 300 easy ???

They were sitting on the starting line of a Hare Scramble with a big smile on their face.

I've briefly ridden a 97 300 EXC. Other than the slightly more buzzy 2-stroke motor, it felt like an XR400 that had been sent to Jenny Craig.

I plan on keeping my XR400 for a dual-sport, but getting a dedicated race bike. For sight seeing and riding casually, I can't think of a better bike than the XR400. It can chug all day without fouling a plug. Travel long distances without fear of breaking. But if you want to pick up the pace, a 300 EXC, yz250, yz250F, or CRF250/450 would be better.

I love my WR but I wonder how a 300EXC would feel and handle in the trails would it be easier to ride, lighter and just as fast or faster? Probably. I still like not having to worry about premix and the torque of the four stroke is excellent. Good luck with your decision. :)

I love my WR but I wonder how a 300EXC would feel and handle in the trails would it be easier to ride, lighter and just as fast or faster? Probably. I still like not having to worry about premix and the torque of the four stroke is excellent. Good luck with your decision. :)

premixing gas takes about 30 secconds

a 300cc 2 stroke makes plenty of torque