Sign in to follow this  

200exc ride report.

I know this is a 4stroke forum but I have to give my 200exc ride report.

The only 2 stroke I ever owned was a 1972 Suzuki TM-400. The bike was known by all of my friends (and myself) as the "Hideously Evil Death Machine".

There was good reason to call it this as anybody who has ever ridden one will attest to (after the emergency room visit).

Since then I have owned a number of 4 strokes with my latest being an 04 KTM 400exc. It is by far and away the best 4s machine I have ever owned.

I saw a deal in the paper I couldn't pass up on an 04 200exc with 100 miles on it. Some of my friends have been trying to convince me for years to get another 2 stroke but the TM made such a life long impression that I hadn't even sat on a 2s except for trials bikes.

I rode the 200 today over 40 miles on the worst mud covered root and rock covered trails I could find. I also rode in sand, gravel and threw in some serious hillclimbing just for grins.

Keep in mind I'm 52 years old, out of shape and don't race. I was told the 200exc was pipey and very tiring and would be a handful after the 400.

Well I'm here to tell you I had the most fun on this bike than I've had on any dirtbike ever in my life. I've heard people call it a mountain bike with an engine. It is an apt description.

The bike pulls from right off idle and revs out remarkably well. Six speeds launched me to a little over 75 mph before I decided I could kill myself and shut it down. I did lay it down in the mud and it was SO easy to pick up I almost had tears of joy in my eyes.

First gear was almost worthless, I believe the bike needs a couple less teeth on the rear. No matter how nasty the mud the bike was very easy to control the power to ride right through. The bike also seemed to ride on top of the sand versus the front end plowing when turning like on my 400.

In conclusion I'm going to keep this bike as my tight woods machine and use the 400 for my Colorado and open trail bike.

If you haven't ridden one see if you can beg a ride on one. You might be as impressed as I am.

KTM has done a wonderful job. :)

I came off of the 250 Four strokes.

I have a 200SX / 04 model, and it's everything you described. I would like to ride a 200exc and compare the differences. Althought 250F's are really easy to ride in the woods and on the track as well, the 200sx is just a little more zippy. It does feel much lighter than even the 250 Four strokes, and the power delivery feels like a 250 two stroke sometimes. I'm looking at getting another 4stroke or adding a 12oz flywheel weight to the SX and keeping it, I'm really having trouble deciding what would be the all around best bike. One good thing is I can follow the kids on the 200sx and it's relatively quite & doesn't mind going slow, the 4strokes overheat in those conditions & are LOUD.

Whats the power band like? Does it have enough bottom end compared to that of like a 250F? Is it spread out well over the power band? Smooth all the way through,or is it weak on bottom and hit in the midrange, etc?

I was wondering about both the 200EXC and the SX200?

Also, do you know how the horsepower compares to that of a 250F?

We ride the same two bikes and I also recently picked up a 200exc.

After the first ride, my feelings about the 200 were similar to yours. I finally knew what the two stroke fuss was all about, and I felt it was the greatest bike ever. But after a few more rides in very slick, rockly and steep terrain, I had a more balanced opinion. I still felt that the 200 is an outstanding bike, but the 400 had better trail manners when things got ugly. The 400 was easier to control and it never surprised me. The 200 is a lightweight powerhouse and it is less forgiving. If you lose concentration, or just misjudge something, it may not be possible to recover. But the weight is awesome. It really does feel like a bike. Riding the 200 requires a totally different style than the 400 and I still need to get everything dialed in properly. It does seem clear, though, that between these two bikes, I've got every riding situation and terrain covered.

Whats the power band like? Does it have enough bottom end compared to that of like a 250F? Is it spread out well over the power band? Smooth all the way through,or is it weak on bottom and hit in the midrange, etc?

I was truly amazed at how much bottom end this bike has for a 200cc engine. If you check out http://www.ktmtalk.com/ a lot of the guys recommend a flywheel weight and a straight taper needle to smooth out the hit but I really don't think that's neccesary. I rode the bike in really nasty conditions and also rode where I did a lot of brake sliding and I didn't stall it even once. I will admit though that the 400 in really slick conditions is easier to ride.

As far as horsepower: (from Sept. 99 Dirt Bike Mag.)

MX BIKES - WEIGHT(HP)

---------------

HON CR125 - 207(29)

KAW KX125 - 210(28)

KTM 125SX - 212(29)

SUZ RM125 - 212(29)

YAM YZ125 - 213(31)

HON CR250 - 222(40)

KAW KX250 - 230(41.5)

KTM 250SX - 229(38.5)

SUZ RM250 - 233(42)

YAM YZ250 - 228(42)

HON CR500 - 233(56)

KAW KX500 - 233(55)

KTM 380SX - 229(49)

YAM YZ400 - 249(43.5)

HSB FC400 - 244(42)

HSB FC501 - 244(46)

HSB FC600 - 244(48)

ENDURO BIKES

---------------

KAW KDX200 - 238(26)

KAW KDX220 - 238(27)

KTM 200EXC - 228(33.5)

KTM 250EXC - 238(37)

KTM 300EXC - 238(41.5)

KTM 380EXC - 238(47)

FOUR STROKES

--------------

HON XR250 - 246(23)

YAM TTR250 - 265(21)

KAW KLX300 - 248(27)

SUZ DR350 - 273(28.5)

HUS TE410 - 268(36)

HON XR400 - 264(33)

HSB FE501E - 270(46)

YAM WR400F - 268(42.5)

HUS TE610 - 268(40)

I think the CRF250X is around 28 horsepower.

I came off of an 02 400e and now have an 04 200e. The bike has been great and makes a nice tight trail machine, better yet the light weight is a bonus when picking it up or loading it into the back of the truck! :)

Having said that I miss my 400, should have kept it. There will be another KTM thumper in my future but the 200 will be parked next to it in the garage. You will get a lot of smiles per mile out of a 200. :)

Excellent review on the 200 EXC, I have also had some considerations on going back to the 2-stroke based upon your comments. My 400 has a definite place in the garage but the Honda CRF is sure nice based upon the flickability component. KTM needs a lighter 4-stroke; maybe the SXF will suffice as a light woods bike.

BTW - I am 46 so am definitely don't race and not in shape either but still having fun :)

nice report Mark :p

the 200exc is definately a fun bike! :)

i rode before, but doesn't own it

and hoping i can own 1 of this machine this days.

anyway, take care and enjoy ya ride. :)

nice report Mark :)

the 200exc is definately a fun bike! :):p

Actually I'm not Mark, I'm Bill.

The signature is a quote from Mark Twain, author and satirist.

I just bought an 04 200exc on friday and rode it back to back with my brother's 03 yz250f. the exc has alot more bottom end power. the 250f was easier to ride, but didnt have the power, so i had to have it revved pretty high to keep making the power of the exc. the 200 is a great bike

Tommy

Thanks for all of the fantastic information to all. Special thanks to you :) Ud Luz for providing excellent feedback regarding horsepower, etc.

I didn't figure I would ever consider two stroke, but that ride review you wrote has really got me to thinking...... maybe another bike to sit by my four stroke. The EXC 200 just sounds like a great bike.

I just don't know with the bikes being similar in horsepower etc, if a person would want both a 250F and a 200EXC. It might take some time getting used to interchanging between the two. Also I've heard that KTM's in particularly just ride different than the other four. What do you think about the interchanging situation?

Fantastic Review!!! I'm looking forward to find one to ride somewhere.

thats a puss bike for a big puss.... :)

As I said before, just because you've got a 450exc and think it's the biggest baddest bike around certainly doesn't give you the right to knock everybody else's ride. :)

I suppose that Honda XR650R riders could say the same about your "little underpowered 450". One ride on a Husky TE510 will tuck your tail between your legs.

I think you will find there are a lot of riders, especially KTM riders, that own multiple bikes. Different bikes for different uses.

I guess you would also call a trials bike a "puss bike for a big puss". I would LOVE to see you ride it for 2 or 3 hours straight without collapsing or crying your eyes out from knee and back pain.

KF6 abr....Why even respond? That wasn't called for. That's not what this web site is about.

Well said. You've heard this multiple times from other members.

Leave the TT bike forums for people that are interested in bikes.

Blatant ignorant responses should equal an instant suspension, it's obvious from his lack of posts he has no respect for this board and doens't belong here. It's easy enough to creat another ID, but the admins can catch that easy enough as well.

2 strokes are fun to ride. In the Husky section there is a continuing post with 17 pages devoted to the CR 125. I for one would love to own a small bike to go with a big 4 stroke. Its been fun reading about the 200's. :)

Now go ride a 300 EXC.

Ditto; it will blow your mind! The 300 Exc is (according to my KTM dealer) 30lbs lighter than my WR450 and has 10 more hp. Given my full-throttle riding style, initially I did not know to laugh, cry or soil my pants.

People say that a big 4st can wear you out; the 300 Exc wore me out trying to hold on and concentrate on throttle-control -- had to stop and rest my hands a few times. It has "power all the time", in every gear -- yet enough tourque that my novice son can ride it in a low rev style like his CRF230 and loves it.

Elton