Sign in to follow this  

Gearing for the X

I experimented with 13/53, but most of my riding is pretty wide open, so that was a bit short. I'm back to 14/53 and I've just bought a 51 rear that I'm going to experiment with as 14/51. After that, I'll try a 13/51..... And on and on....

Thats whats weird....on the honda web site it says stock is 13/49?? My bike came with a 14/53?? Whats up with that?

3.78 Vs 3.76 Almost Exact.. You would not tell the difference other than the 13/49 may wear chains faster.

A while back, I posted a gearing spreadsheet that shows the combinations of all the Honda sprockets front and rear. They are ordered from top to bottom most gear multiplication to least gear multiplication. Row 8 is stock gearing.

Column H shows top speed in 1st gear assuming stock X tires and redline (12,500 rpm). Column I shows the gear multiplication relative to stock 14/53. Can be helpful. I have no idea which of these combos requires a different chain length than stock.

For example, Row 5 shows 13/51 gearing which gives you 3.6% more gear multiplication than stock. This means that your power curve will be shifted to 3.6% lower bike speeds.