Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs W/R tranny, Good/Bad?

I'm Thinking about a Baja Designs wide ratio tranny for my 03 450,

but I've heard they don't hold up. I would really like to have a lower

first gear and don't want to loose the top end. I also realize they are

a rather expensive mod. I don't see many posts on this so I am looking

forward to hearing any opinions on this!?!

I have a Baja Designs WR tranny installed in my 2002 CRF450 engine that is crammed into an RS125 chassis -- and roadraced.

I would think that roadracing would put more stress on a transmission but I recently disassembled the engine for a complete overhaul and the transmission is in great shape (unlike the crank, rod, bearings, oil pump, cases, etc :) )

I think the Baja Designs WR tranny is a definite "recommend" in my book. However, bear in mind that I also have an STM slipper clutch in there that might help alleviate some of the stress on the transmission.

Chris.

I have a Baja Designs WR tranny installed in my 2002 CRF450 engine that is crammed into an RS125 chassis -- and roadraced.

I would think that roadracing would put more stress on a transmission but I recently disassembled the engine for a complete overhaul and the transmission is in great shape (unlike the crank, rod, bearings, oil pump, cases, etc :) )

I think the Baja Designs WR tranny is a definite "recommend" in my book. However, bear in mind that I also have an STM slipper clutch in there that might help alleviate some of the stress on the transmission.

Chris.

Chris, I roadrace my CRF and just picked up an STM slipper, how do you like yours, any thing I need to watch out for in the install or setup? any one know if i can use the Hinson clutch basket with the STM..

I to also just did over my bottom end, stock tranny looks brand new, just put some new bearings in cause they were cheap

I heard they only have one set of gears left. And unless the demand is there they were not going to make any more.

I spoke with Ben at Baja and he told me they were considering keeping the WR kit available for the TRX quads so it may not be dead yet. They had one to sell me just last week, but they had to check stock before they could confirm my order.

Chris, I roadrace my CRF and just picked up an STM slipper, how do you like yours, any thing I need to watch out for in the install or setup? any one know if i can use the Hinson clutch basket with the STM..

I to also just did over my bottom end, stock tranny looks brand new, just put some new bearings in cause they were cheap

The STM works really well. The only thing I'd say is that for my purposes the diaphram that comes stock is a little too strong (I still easily break my rear tire free under multiple downshifts). I believe this could be easily resolved with a slightly lighter diaphram but it doesn't bug me enough to actually do anything about it.

I have the STM installed in a Hinson clutch basket right now. Works fine!

The installation was a piece of cake. The instructions do look somewhat confusing but everything does go together in a fairly logical fashion. The only problem was the instructions make reference to a part that I did not have, and I had a part that was not referenced in the instructions. So I just installed it without the part and it worked just fine.

The last thing I'd say is that the STM clutch isn't highly compatible with a Magura hydraulic clutch. Using the hydraulic clutch required some hacksaw modification to the clutch holder bracket on the engine.

Thanks for the info on the slipper, what year engine do you have, mines an o2 and theres two differen Hinson nbasketsa available, just wanted to compare your set up to mine,

my slipper cam with the 150 spring, bu im pretty heavy so that should increase the momentum and the weight on the tire so hopefully it will slip just right

I heard they only have one set of gears left. And unless the demand is there they were not going to make any more.

DAMN I was interested in the wr tranny too...!to bad they seam to be gone for good

DAMN I was interested in the wr tranny too...!to bad they seam to be gone for good

Not unless you can find some lucky duck who has an old IMS CR250 wide ratio kit. :) RR

wr.jpg

My WR tranny is the best mod I have done to my CRF. Especially since I only ride my bike on the street so being able to cruise on the highway is a huge plus :) . I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a little more top end out of their bike.