Sign in to follow this  

Efm auto clutch long term

I got a efm auto clutch 2 years ago. Used it for about a month and took it off. I never really gave it a chance. I have recently put it back on and have spent the time to get it set up right and to adjust my riding. I am really beginning to like it. My question is what has been the long term impressions. Still like them?? reliability, set up hints?? Is wet sumping mandatory for its survival(I have a 01yz)??

i have the 3rd oldest in existence (for the yz250f). i know where #2 is as well.

does yours bolt into the fingers of the basket?

is it their billet basket?

does yours have silver washers or gold?

i ended up with 9 springs on each post that looks like this crude drawing -

(|))

meaning, 1 up, flat washer, 2 down. for a total of 3 on each post.

i simply *LOVE* mine. it is easily tied for the #1 aftermarket product i have ever bought. period. my lowered suspension is the other tie.

i simply cannot ride without it and don't see how anybody can race a 4strk offroad without one.

i have close to 3 years of racing on mine. (half of '02, '03, '04 and working on '05).

i can't recommend the product enough or give it enough praise.

:)

no wet sump needed (nor wanted).

I would bet that I have one of the first ten. I thought they modified my basket until I had it apart next to my sons and realized it was a different basket. Anyway it bolts to that basket and came with silver washers. I am running one spring washer and one flat. I only have .047 play. It is so tite that after I start it cold I have to push it off before putting it into gear or it will stall. But after it warms up and the oil is flowing it works perfect. Pretty much instant ingagement off idle and no chatter which is what I was looking for. I have a magura clutch which was not letting it engage quick enough. The only solution was to disconnect it. Do you still have the clutch cable and does it effect the engagment?? When I first had it on I keep stalling it. This time I am running the idle a little high and have a wr flywheel. No stalling. This time around I think I like it. The race test will be this weekend. Last year my son who also rides a 01 250f beat me by 20 sec. That's not going to happen again!!

i never measured the play and never needed to really.

the only thing i did was go from the 2 springs (like your setup) to the 3 like i have now.

i have the cable and msr raptor lever. i only use it on the start and finding neutral when i stop for a while with the motor going.

what are you doing riding it cold anyway?

:)

race motors need to be brought up to temp before used.

I didn't actually mean, cold,cold, but anyway. I put the springs in per your example and seems to work pretty good on the old driveway test. We will see what happens this weekend. I see you are from tx. I rode a hs series when I was living in Houston in the mid 80's. Rio Bravo, New Waverly. Are they still running? Were you riding back then?? While I have your attention, what do you use for muffler packing? All the posts say stainless steel wool but I can't find it. I've got reg attic insulation packed in seriously tite from the end cap. None of this taking off both ends and rapping putting it back in business. I know this is not suppose to work but is very quit, easy and cheap. Am I wasting my time. :)

i didn't get here till '89.

there is a hs series, but i'm sure you would not recognize it.

i use Silent Sport packing in my Dr.D pipe. you can also get it from Moose.

it works very very well and is easy to install.

attic insulation will last about 1 - 2 hours tops. i tried it, it blows out quickly!

maybe i didn't pack it in tightly enough, but it was a serious failure when i tried it.

I took one spring out so now I have 1 spring 1 washer then another spring. It doesn't drag and almost instant ingagement which is what I was looking for. The only issue now is I was told to grind a couple of flats on the little rod that holds what I guess is the throw out bearing to increase the oil flow which I have done. I have vertually no chatter so I guess it is working. My only concern is there any possibility of this mod causing and oil starvation anywhere else such as the valve train??