Sign in to follow this  

How many consecutive laps do you ride for practice

i can only get 4-5 laps before i am shot. i try to do this 3-4 sessions for a 20 lap day, 1 time a week. am i that bad of shape or do i need to tweak my stock suspension a little more. how many consectutive laps do you ride for practice?

john

03 crf450r

I can usually do 5-6 hard laps with an occasional glimpse of brilliance for a 15 laps or so, but I'm 34, about 5-10lbs over weight, and not in great cardio shape. In season I ride at least once a week - OHIO. This winter I've been doing the rowing machine every other day and I hope my stamina, not to mention my new 05 CRF, will help my staying power. :)

About the same as you guys. I tend to do more laps as the day wears on. I always do the most laps on my last session.

OT, how do you like that rowing machine panhandler? I've been tossing around getting one to break up the daily routine.

I think the biggest thing to enhance you riding stamina is more seat time. I'm like the rest of you guys only getting out 1-2X/week but I do work out, yet I still get arm pump, etc. I've also noticed that the more comfortable I am at a track, the longer I can go. I also noticed that when people are on me trying to make a pass, my arms cramp up. If I ride loose (i.e. don't death grip on the bars), I can usually at a pretty good pace for extended periods. So either relax or get a job that allows you to ride every day of the week. Just my two cents.

On our big, SX style track (average lap times 2:15-2:20) when I'm in shape I can pound out 8 hard laps before I'm toast. For training I'll do a 15-20 minute moto 2x. That's right about 8 laps +/- as well. . .

About the same as you guys. I tend to do more laps as the day wears on. I always do the most laps on my last session.

OT, how do you like that rowing machine panhandler? I've been tossing around getting one to break up the daily routine.

I love it, not hard on my knees like running and it's more total body. I got a cheap one - $250 MR900 Power Rower model#98900 from an online outfit. But its works ok for me.

98900.jpg

Just to make everyone feel bad:

My son had a couple of his 15 year old friends over the house on Saturday to ride. Our track is about a minute and half lap times when it's dry. Saturday was muddy and those kids would go out and do 30+ laps at a time. For the day, they probably did 150+ laps. Heck, I can't walk for a week after doing 50 laps in a day.

If it is race day on a track I ride and know I will put in only about 4 laps.

I tend to doulble class and this gets me warmed up for the day.

I it is a track I do not have a lot of time on I may do 6-8 laps with the first couple feeling out some lines.

For normal practice days I will hit 4 practices and do about 12 laps each.

+40 nov.

I ride +30, and I generally go out for at least 8-9 laps at a time. Most of the time it is at least 20m+. I think the key is good suspension and bike setup. Getting the bike to fit you correctly. The other key is being smooth. Get out of control on a pinger and it isn't a problem. Do that with a 450 and there is a serious problem, it takes mucho energy to recover.

I work out about 2-3x per week, generally I run 2 miles on the treadmill then do a good top to bottom weight workout. I agree that seat time is key. But, I think bike setup and smoothness are also right up there.

Remember, sometimes you have to go slow to go fast. I see tons of guys on 450's that go into corners, square up and shoot instead of carrying speed and being smooth. Must be smooth, then you can get a ton more laps.

James

I can usually only do from 4-6 laps at a time, but we're talking about Englishtown here. The place is one of the roughest tracks around!!!

Here is what 4-6 of us do., The slowest starts first, then about 10-30 seconds the next one takes off, so forth and so on. The pro has to start behind me,.,lol And we turn a 30 minute moto. You wouldn't believe how that makes you push. Cause the guy infront of you don't want you to catch him and I don't want the pro to catch me, plus you have to pass people so it's fun.

Later

Adam