Sign in to follow this  

2005 Ktm 300 Mxc

Help, I recently sold my CR250 and I still have a CR125. I am trying to decide on a new bike. I am going to keep the 125 for track riding but I need a good woods bike. Has anyone had any experience with these bikes??

I just purchased a 2005 300 Exc. I was looking for another 4st but many excellent reviews and opinions from 4-stokers who migrated to the 300 Exc compelled me to get it over the 525 Exc.

I understood that the Mxc was designated for the desert and the Exc is the woods bike. When my KTM dealer describe the Exc as having a lower geared 1st and higher 5th; this clinched the deal for the Exc. Also, with the Exc, you get a headlight, which I used.

After riding the 300 Exc, its unclear why anyone would want the closer gearing given the power; the 300 Exc is very light, flickable and has lots of power in all gears. When driven hard, the biggest problem is holding on :)

IMO, go for the 300 Exc unless you specifically want/need the Mxc gearing.

Elton

Go post this on KTMtalk.com too. Lots and lots of KTM two stroke owners over there. The 300 mxc/exc is a bike that gets almost universal praise. 99.9% of the bike's owners are happy with their purchase. I own a 200exc and love the bike. As said, I can't see any basis for the MXC tranny given the bike's power, unless you race in the desert or ride a lot of power sucking sand. The EXC tranny is more versatile for most riding conditions.