Sign in to follow this  

Help me with my forks and spokes!!!!!!!!

Ok this is a two part deal. First my friend keeps hounding me to softin my suspension but im not to sure how to do it could anyone just give me a quick run througho on how to softin a RMZ-250 suspension and another rider was sayin he had these things put on his bike and i cant remember the name but they help release air build up in your forks by just pressing a button do i need to let some air out with like a screwdriver or something???

Second part is i was riding and one of the spokes came off i then knowticed that all the spokes were loose and like 5 or 6 were bent what should i do should i bye new spokes and put them on myself or should i try to bend the old ones back? Plus how do you tighten them?

This would help me out a lot thanks

You are going to have problems if you could not do the simple stuff like spokes and bleeding your forks. Ok though, you most likely will need new spokes and hopefully your rim is not bent, just find a place that laces wheels. Spokes are about $50 per wheel I believe. If you bought it new you should have the owners manual and spoke tool. If not get an adjustable wrentch and tighten the spokes. Make sure you read your manual, spokes are simple, check your valves, clean air filter, the normally stuff. This bike takes alot of work to keep running, it is a high performance race bike not a XR-100. For suspension play with the clickers to soften it up, they say soft and hard and show you what way to turn. Bleeding air just take out the screw on the top of the forks, you don't need those little things your friend has, they just make life easier.

Thanks for the advice yea its a new bike but it didnt come with a spoke wrench. The rim isnt bent just 5 or 6 spokes so ill try all that thanks. It is also really hard to start when its warmed up you have any suggestions?

When you bleed the air from the forks be careful not to lose the screw. You dont need to remove it just loosen it until you hear the air escaping. When starting hot do you use the hot start lever ? Read your manual, it has lots of good stuff you need to know.

I would definately have someone that knows what they are doing work on your bike.

about the suspension, the clickers on the bottom of the forks are compression, turn them counterclockwise (and equal ammount) and thatwill soften it.

the clickler by the shock bladder is the compression, turn it counter closewise to soften the rear.

Thanks a lot ima do that right away and i use the hot start and the harder i kick the less likly it is to start. Ill give it like a random puss kick and it will start up but it takes forever. If anyone has any suggestion on starting techniques when its hot then let me know.

Change the pilot jet to a 42 and if you can find one buy a kx125 kick starter it will spin the motor faster. Otherwise they can be a real pain to start make sure your not giving it any gas.

... and another rider was sayin he had these things put on his bike and i cant remember the name but they help release air build up in your forks by just pressing a button do i need to let some air out with like a screwdriver or something?? ...

This would help me out a lot thanks

Do a search on Google for Pro Bleeders.

They are made by Motion Pro.

I like 'em.

Another way they're really nice is that you can bleed the pressure off your forks after you tie the bike down in the truck or trailer. (I don't use a fork block during transport.)

You're welcome. :)

watch with the bleeders i had one break off in my fork put wasnt that big of a problem. just dont push on them that hard :)

It is also really hard to start when its warmed up you have any suggestions?

Take your hand off the throttle when you kick it and see how you go. A lot of people especially if they have come off a 2 stroke have a habit of twisting the throttle a little each time they kick the bike over. Ask someone to watch you, You probably don't even know your doing it. Each time you do that your pumping a little squirt of fuel in there and loading it up. This seems to be the biggest problem with people starting a 4 stroke with a pumper carb.

I also kick the bike through slowly to find top dead centre (i know it has an auto decomp), return the kick starter to the top and one fast kick and away she goes. When you kick it your trying to spin the motor as fast as you can and it will fire. Not just a weak push through.

If mine is flooded and the hot start won't work. I open the throttle up fully and hold it open. You will add more fuel but a couple of good solid kicks normally get's it going.

I have a friend with one and he justs madly kicks away and gets no where before storming off with the shits and blaming the bike. I can go over and start it the first time. It's in the technique.